The mall road and the ridge are cool but also cliche now. Crowded specially during the season time (October- February and April- July).
Here are a few things to do and places to visit and eat if you want to avoid the crowd.
Hotel stays on the mall road or near the mall road is what everyone wants when they are in Shimla. But if you are looking for scenery and peace these are a few hotels to check out:
1. Hotel Rocky Knob
2. Hotel Radisson Jass
3. Hotel Fairmount
The above hotels are within the city.
1. The Chalets Naldera (around 20 kms from The main city)
2. Koti Resorts (around 15 kms from the main city)
3. Manla Homes ( 19 kms from the main city)
4. Clarks Mashobra ( around 13 kms from the main city)
5. The Nilaya ( 15 kms from the city)
6. Sarovar Portico ( 16 kms from the main city)
7. Alpine woods ( around 12 kms)
8. The Royal Tulip ( 13-14 kms from the city)
9. The Sterling ( around 16 kms from the main city)
10. Galleu Hill Resorts ( around 16.5 kms from Shimla)
11. Karam Vidhata resorts ( 22 kms from the main city)
12. The Woodays ( 16 kms)
13. Taj Theog ( around 30 kms from the city)
14. Wildflower Hall ( around 10kms from the city)
15. De Exotica Crest ( 30 kms)
These are a few hotels in the lap of nature and away from the crowd and noise.
Thing to do while in Shimla:
1. Instead of going to the Jakhu temple by a car or taxi head to Sanjauli and take the forest trail to Jakhu which is around 1.5-2 kms capturing some breathtaking views and walking among tall trees. Ask locals for the route.