The Dubai International Airport (DXB) is said to be one of the busiest airports in the world. It has two runways—the North and the South. Starting from April 16th to May 30th, 2019, the South runway will be undergoing a complete remodelling.
This would mean that it will not be functional during the above-mentioned dates. For the above given time period, the flight operations at DXB will take a hit.
The airport authorities have made arrangements to make this transition smoother during this period:
1. The passengers will be shuttled free of cost from the DXB to the Dubai World Central (DWC). This will be done with the help of an express bus.
2. DWC will be connected to key locations in Dubai with the help of a regular bus service so that one can travel without hassle.
3. Fleet of taxis is being deployed to important places for the same purpose.
4. The airport has tied up with an app called the Careem that will offer a 25 percent discount to the passengers travelling to and fro from DWC.
5. 32 per cent reduction in flight operations at DXB will be witnessed owing to the 96 per cent increase in the usage of the north runway. The affected flights will be provided with alternate slots in the new DWC.
If you are planning to travel during the same period, certain changes could affect your travel plans. Keep a close eye on rescheduling or cancellation of your flights in advance.
Here are a few things that may affect the Indian travellers
1. The flight operations to certain countries like India, Jordan, Pakistan, Iran, and Oman will be from the new DWC.
2. The Indian cities that will be served from the AI Maktoum Airport (DWC) are Ahmedabad, Delhi, Hyderabad, Chennai, Lucknow, Kozhikode, Kochi, Chennai and Mumbai.
3. On the other hand, cities from Pakistan which will be served by the same airport are Faisalabad, Multan, Karachi, and Sialkot.
4. India’s Air India and Air India Express will be operating from the Sharjah International Airport during this 45-day period.
5. Air India Flights to the cities of Mumbai, Visakhapatnam, Hyderabad, Chennai, Bangalore, and Goa will be affected.
6. Air India Express Flights to Mangalore, Delhi, and Kochi will also be moving from the Sharjah airport.
7. IndiGo airlines have split their operations between DWC and DXB.
8. SpiceJet has shifted their flights in the routes of Delhi-Dubai, Madurai- Dubai, Pune-Dubai, and Kochi-Dubai to DWC. All the other flights will be operating from DXB.
9. There is no shift in the operations of Jet Airways. Their flights will take the usual route to and from DXB.
10. FlyDubai is shifting all its operations from DWC during this 45-day period.
It would be advisable to check the details of your flight and its schedule well in advance. Though the airport authorities in Dubai are trying their best to keep hassles to a minimum, make a careful note of all the changes.
Are you flying to Dubai soon? Let us know about your trip here on Tripoto.