How to get there
There are an incredibly large number of options if you're trying to get to Vagamon from any of the major South Indian cities.
For those travelling from Chennai:
1. Bus to Cumbum (8 hrs) or Kumily (10 hours); then local bus to Elapaara and share auto to Vagamon OR Bus to Cumbum/Kumily and cab to Vagamon
2. Drive or ride to Vagamon (over 12 hours)
3. Train to Kottayam; then local bus or cab to Vagamon
For those travelling from Bangalore:
1. Plane to Kochi and rental car to Vagamon
2. Train to Kochi and local bus to Elapaara followed by auto to Vagamon
These are just a few options, though you can get there via any permutation/combination of these options.
What to pack
The cool and constant 23ºC weather means you can pack light and enjoy the summer! Take an umbrella if you must for you never know when you'll experience the famous Kerala showers (I was lucky enough that it didn't really rain while I was there).
Just be sure to pack extra socks! And maybe some snacks too, as the shops are few and far between.