Although the original stretch of the Central Vista Avenue has evolved over the years, but somehow the essential facilities have degraded over the years due to which public spaces and facilities like pathways had become stressed and unusable. Since this Avenue hosts the Republic Day Parade, it is imperative to for the space to provide minimal restriction on public movement and less damage to the landscape on an annual scale.
Some of the issues faced before the redevelopment of the space were:
• The iconic stretch of Rajpath was plagued by heavy traffic during peak traffic hours.
• Current civic amenities are stressed due to public overuse.
• The Republic Day Parade needed better arrangement for less disruption of traffic.
• Crumbling pathways, busy road junctions make it non-pedestrian friendly.
• Inadequate facilities for vendors that causes inconvenience.
• Excessive use of land, waste generation and public congestion on the Avenue had led to land and water pollution.
The tender for the redevelopment was awarded in January 2021 which was required to complete within 300 days. The “Bhoomi Pujan” was performed by the Minister of Housing and Urban Affairs, Shri Hardeep Singh Puri on the 4th of February 2021. The revamped Central Vista Avenue will be inaugurated by our Prime Minister on September 08, 2022 and will be open for public from September 09, 2022.