A very scenic – Loktak Lake is located 45 km from Imphal. The route from Imphal to Loktak Lake is really scenic. The landscape stretches from nearby paddy fields to distant cloud-covered mountains. This joyous ride is worth every inch on the road.
How to reach –
Imphal is easily accessible by air. Regular flights move in here from Kolkata and Guwahati. In case you wish to use road, easy transportation is available from Dimapur and Guwahati. Wingers ply from the backside of Dimapur railway station and charge 600-700 INR pp. The ride from Dimapur to Imphal takes about 6 hours. Entire route is hilly.
Tips for the travellers -
1. If you are using road transport, be prepared for motion sickness issues because almost 90% of the area of Manipur is hilly. Carry lemon, oranges and candies.
2. Good hotels for local Manipuri food are available near the Polo ground. I ate at “Eigyagee Sharma hotel” and food was simply amazing.
3. Try Manipuri snacks on the first floor of Ima market.
4. Ask any villager in Andro to show you around. If you get lucky, you will get a free guided tour of Andro. Villagers are usually nice and are ready to offer their services.
5. Try to witness the art of pottery in Andro. These locals are masters in pottery.
6. Every object in the museum in Andro village is linked with an interesting story. Try to know about it from the in-charge there.
7. Visit Ukhurul for watching Siroi Lily (June-July)
8. Visit Moreh to cross the Indo-Myanmar border and then wander in Myanmar.
9. There are a lot of budget accommodation options in Imphal. Hotel Nirmala is a good deal.
10. Update yourself with the on-going local issues in Manipur before visiting.