Silk Route is an ancient trade route which connected Lhasa in Tibet via the Jelep La Pass to India, a remote but glamorous section which would make you wanting to visit again and again. We take you on a jeep safari in this mesmerizing trip which is not frequented by tourists. It requires a permit to enter majority of the places as this area borders India and Tibet (China) and controlled by the Indian Army.
This route has got some breathtaking views of Mt Kanchandzonga and its range, snow strewn zigzag roads, endless terraced paddy fields, mind-blowing historical monasteries and home to a rich variety of flora and fauna.
The tiny state of Sikkim is a paradise to the adventure seekers and nature lovers.
Join us in this trip through Old Silk Route to the mystic wonderland of East Sikkim - this well kept secret in the lap of the Himalayas will leave you dumbfounded.
Experiences in this Trip:-
Road Trip, Village Walks, Monastery Visits, Paragliding, Local Cuisine, Photography, Rural Life, Shopping.
Highlights of the Trip:-
- Admire the 300 degree visible mountain ranges from Rishyap
- Variety of trekking opportunities in Sillerygaon.
- Memorable journey through the zigzag hilly road with 95 blind turns & bends.
- Gaze at the snow-capped Kanchendzonga from Thambi/Langthung.
- Reside at the remotest Tibetan habitant hamlet of Gnathang, a cold desert.
- Immerse in the culture, tradition and heritage of the ethnic communities of Sikkim.
Day 01: NJP – Rishyap
Pick up from Bagdogra Airport (IXB) / New Jalpaiguri (NJP) Railway Station and move towards Rishyap, a Himalayan hamlet situated in West Bengal, 8100 ft ASL lies at the meeting point of Bhutan, Sikkim and West Bengal. The 300 degree visible mountain ranges that you can view from Rishyap are (left to right) Mt.Kharg, Kokthang, Rathong, Kabru (North, South, Dome and Fork), Talung, Pandim, Khang-Chen-D-Zongha, Simvo, Narsingh, Siniolchu. At clear nights, far below, one can view the lights twinkling in the nearby towns and villages. Overnight at Rishyap.
Day 02: Rishyap - Sillerygaon
Transfer to Sillerygaon after breakfast. Sillerygaon is situated in midst of the jungles at about 6000 ft. ASL, also called "New Darjeeling", for its beautiful view of the Mt. Kanchendzonga. After lunch, walk around the village or take an optional trek to Damsang Fort or Tinchuley View Point. Overnight at Sillerygaon.
Day 03: Sillerygaon - Aritar
Enjoy the sunrise and Kanchendzonga peak from the Home stay at 5:30 am. Take a walk to Ramitey viewpoint (about 1 hour walk, one way). After return, start to Aritar (4600 ft ASL). Visit Lampokhri lake, the highest boating lake in Sikkim and enjoy a boat ride. Mankhim, Dak Bungalow, Changey Falls, Aritar Monastery are the other places worth visiting. Overnight stay at Aritar/Mankhim.
Day 04: Aritar - Zuluk
After breakfast, proceed to Zuluk (10600 ft. ASL), a hamlet close to Indo-China border. En-route visit, Rongli (to obtain permit), Lingtham, Kuekhola WaterFalls and Padamchen. Enjoy the sunset from Balasura Point. Overnight at Zuluk.
Day 05: Zuluk - Gnathang - Lungthung - Gnathang/Zuluk
Start early in the morning for Sunrise view from Thambi View Point. After breakfast, take the Silk Route Trail covering Bhulbhulaiya (Zigzag Roads), Ganek, Lungthung & Laxmi Chowk. Overnight stay at Gnathang (12,700 ft ASL) or Zuluk.
Day 06: Gnathang/Zuluk - Kupup - Gnathang
After breakfast continue the Silk Route Trail. Visit Tukla valley (13,000 ft.), Kalapokhri, Old Baba Mandir, Golf Course, Ice Hockey field, Jelep-La Pass (14,300 ft) and Elephant Lake at Kupup (13,900 ft.). Overnight stay at Gnathang.
Day 07: Gnathang - Gangtok
Transfer to Gangtok (5400 ft. ASL) after breakfast en-route covering Tsomgo Lake & New Baba Mandir. Evening free to go around MG Marg (Market). Overnight stay at Gangtok.
Day 08: Gangtok
Half day sightseeing covering Ganesh Tok, Enchey Monastery, Do-Drul Chorten, Namgyal Institute of Tibetology, Tashi Viewpoint. Take the cable car ride (optional) & Paragliding (optional). Overnight stay at Gangtok.
Day 09: Bid Adieu
After breakfast, transfer to Airport / NJP. Tour ends.
Rs.27,000/- per person for the entire trip (8 nights / 9 days)
Exclusive vehicle for the entire trip from Day 1 to Day 9, but not at disposal.
Start Date: ___________ (pick-up from Bagdogra Airport or New Jalpaiguri Rail Station)
End Date: ___________ (drop at Bagdogra Airport or New Jalpaiguri Rail Station)
Pls ensure that you arrive before 11am on the Start Date and book your return ticket for your train / flight after 2pm on the End Date.
- All meals and evening tea / coffee except breakfast on 1st day and lunch & dinner on the 9th day.
- Accommodation for 8 nights / 9 days on double sharing basis in home stays / guest houses.
- All transfers / sightseeing trips by Mahindra Bolero or Tata Sumo or similar vehicles
- Permit charges, Toll charges & Entry Fees
- Guide charges
- All applicable taxes & service charges
- Airfare / Train fare
- Food / Snacks other than mentioned above
- Optional tour costs
- Camera charges
- Additional cost arising due to mishaps, political unrest, natural calamities like – landslides, road blockage, etc. In such case extra will have to be paid on the spot by the guests directly.
- Personal expenses such as laundry, bottled water, soft drinks, incidentals, porter charges, tips, medicines, etc.
- Paragliding charges
- Any item not specified in the ‘Inclusions’.
- Most of the accommodations are basic but clean and safe.
- The accommodations are in home stays &/ small guest houses run by the locals.
- Telephone, Television, Internet, Electric Water Heater are obviously not available everywhere.
- Room Heaters might be available in higher altitudes but are chargeable extra.
- Not suitable for those expecting luxurious stays.
- Pre-fixed Veg &/ Non-Veg home-made food is served. If you have any food preferences, inform them in advance.
- Carry your regular medicines. First Aid is available & medical facility is available in most of the places.
- All should carry Identity Proof (Passport / Voter ID / Driving License) & Passport photos
- The roads are bumpy in most parts of this route. Be prepared.
- Some itineraries may not be suitable for senior citizens & guests with certain health complications like arthritis, heart ailments, etc. Pls do inform us in advance as they might need some special arrangements.
- Smoking / Drinking is discouraged.
- Our trips are announced after thorough research. One of our representatives will accompany you for the trip to ensure that the trip is smooth.
- Certain areas may or may not be reachable during the trip as it depends on the climatic conditions and snowfall.
We care about the local communities, their culture, economy and environment. Act responsibly while traveling.
- Respect the culture, tradition & religious sensitivity of the locals.
- Dress and behave properly in villages and holy places.
- Minimize use of water & power.
- Avoid buying products made of coral, endangered animals or plants.
- Do not pluck flowers or plants.
- Avoid littering. Bring them back to your place to dispose. Recycle where possible.
- Eat what the locals eat.
- Purchase local products. Avoid bargaining. Pay fair price.
- Visit the locals, talk to them, and learn their culture.
- Avoid smoking & drinking.
- Take permission before taking pictures.