Best Time For A Danube River Cruise
The Danube river cruise generally runs throughout the year. But May to September is the prime season. Here's what to expect during every season -
1. March - May: It's expected to rain during this season and evenings turn quite chilly. Make sure you pack warm clothes.
2. June - August: The summer months are dry and sweaty. Pack loose and breathable clothes as well as swimsuits, if you wish to take a dip in the pool on the cruise ship.
3. September - November: The temperatures start lowering and the crowds leave. Fares are cheaper and the streets emptier. Throw in a sweater or two to keep you from getting cold.
4. Late November & December: Christmas markets in the cities along the Danube, make a cruise at this time of the year downright magical. Pack coats, hats, gloves and other heavy winter clothing to stay warm - it does snow.
5. January & February: Very few cruises sail in these two months because the river runs dry in the lower sections (towards the delta of the river) and it gets really cold. Pack heavy winter clothing, gum boots, hats, gloves and anything that helps you fight the cold.
Companies That Offer Danube Cruise: Many operators like AMA Waterways, Avalon Waterways, Saga Cruises and Viking River Cruises offer the Danube river cruise.