We had a morning Aegean Airlines flight to Rome (with short layover in Athens). We dropped our car at the airport drop-off parking at the airport. It was a small but beautiful airport.
Tips & Highlights:
• As food options in Blue Star Ferry are limited so stock up from the cafes in Pireaus port.
• The fast ferries run only during peak season (April to September). Blue Star Ferries run every day of the year. Book from their original site: https://bookonline.bluestarferries.com/uts_web/BookOnline.aspx?lang=EN
• In off season you may book the cheapest tickets as seats are only 50% full
• In peak season you have to leave your luggage in separate zone. So chain up.
• Buses don’t run regularly in Santorini in off season. Better to get a self-drive car. In peak season buses will take you to all locations from Fira
• In off season most restaurant are shut. Food options are best in Fira
• Due to shortage of time we could not see the Akrotiri, Santos winery, take a boat trip to the active volcano.
• Carry cash/card as there are few ATMs open in off season.
• Self-drive car: carefully discuss the conditions like: drop off point, inspecting while taking and returning the car, etc.
• You need an International Driving License to drive in Europe.