Stargazing on an island is an experience by itself. Picture this, lying on the soft white sands, with the sound of the ocean and Mr.Probz ' - waves and the sky brightly light up with a million stars - PERFECT. Now that's a sight you don't see back in the cities. It was by far one of the most beautiful and serene experiences of my life. The best things in life are indeed free.
To get to Havelock, you would first have to land at Port Blair which is the gateway to the beautiful Andaman Islands and the island with connectivity to mainland India. From Port Blair, there are 2 options to get to Havelock:
Helicopter service - At 20 minutes of travel time, it is the quickest way to get to havelock. Flights are operated by the Civil Aviation Dept. of A&N Administration. You can get more info. on the price and schedule here
Ferry service - the most preferred mode of transport and priced decently as well. There are government run ferries as well as private ones. I traveled by Makruzz, which is a private run ferry service.
1. Make sure you carry enough cash and not rely completely on your Credit/Debit cards.
2. The mobile network isn't that great, so expect no or little network at certain parts of the island.
3. There is 1 liquor store on the island. They have a quota system per person for the day. An individual can buy a maximum of 4 bottles of beer or 1 bottle of hard liquor in one day, not more. (That was the rule when I had visited Havelock). Get high on Nature for a change.
4. Many cafes, don't serve alcohol, but they do get permits to serve for a single night, usually when they're having some event. Make sure to check with them.
5. Make sure to wear a helmet when you're riding a rented bike. I say it not only for the obvious reason of safety, but also the cops do check. We were caught for not wearing a helmet when riding and had to pay a fine. I know, out of all the places in the world, had to be here.
6. It would be advisable to book your ferry tickets to and from the island at least a day before to ensure you get tickets.
7. Avoid polluting the island with plastic and other items, it's a beautiful paradise, lets work on keeping it that way.