DAY 09: "Toughest decision of our life!!" (back to home)
On waking up, all we saw through window was fresh snowfall. The first time in life that we were not happy to see snowfall. Because we wouldn't be able to drive down to Spiti in that Fall. Immediately we had a chat with our driver, who suggested us to wait for another day for the roads to get clear. Well, we decided the same and give a rest to ourselves for that day. Have a little walk in town and play in snow all day. Here comes the twist...!
During That little walk in town, we met at least a dozen locals, who were shocked to hear that we still were planning for Spiti. Many of them suggested us to get back to Shimla, because the weather may not recover for at least few days. All that confusion about whether to wait or go back popped up unwanted questions in mind:
"What if we get stuck in between? There would be no-one around for kilometers in that abundance to help us out" (Oh and forget about Network)
"What if we ??????????????? (Don't wanna' complete the question)
Just for the sake of backup, We inquired at Bus Stand for the Bus to Shimla. Which wasn't at a confirm schedule, too. If the weather gets clear we may get a bus the next morning or else no mode of transportation except Private Cabs. (Which were of course too costly that we couldn't afford) Everything was getting messed up. Nothing was going as per plan. We were so frustrated. Some people again advised us to take the Next Bus to Shimla which is leaving in an hour before it gets too late to get out of Peo.
DAMN the Struggle to make sudden decisions! 🤦🏻♂️So confused... So confused...
Part of me was saying I can face whatever the consequences. I'm wild enough to get through that.And part of me was believing that Locals have way more experience than I do in Himalayan Winters. So if they're suggesting otherwise, there must be a reason behind that!
Despite the very urge to visit Spiti, Despite the whole big plan to visit Spiti, We tried to think rationally putting all the emotions aside and decided to get back immediately before it gets worse. (A gentle reminder: It was still snowing continuously since afternoon when we made that decision at around 4pm)
We Packed the bags, hopped on to bus without saying a single word since we made the decision! I remember, after sitting still in that Bus for about another hour, when the Bus Stopped at Karcham for a quick Tea, My Friend broke the silence saying us- "There's still a chance. We can still get off this bus, ask for a lift to Peo and Just try for Spiti tomorrow."
None of us could reply to that! In all our minds, from the moment we took that bus, one thing that was going on-
"That Even if we've made this decision, we knew it very well that we were going to regret it for the rest of our lives! "
That we were as close as Reckong Peo from Spiti and we couldn't visit anyway!
But as 'Naina' said to 'Bunny' in 'Yeh Jawaani hai Deewani' sitting on the fort of Chittorgarh-
" कितना भी ट्राई करो बनी, लाइफ में कुछ ना कुछ तो छूटेगा ही। तो जहा है वहीं का मज़ा लेते है ना।"
May be it wasn't meant to be. May be it wasn't calling us. And with dead silence, we got back to Shimla at around 3 in the morning next day.