The pristine and crystal clear Gurudongmar Lake in India is The Second Highest lakes in the World 🌎 at an elevation of 5,430 m according to the Government of Sikkim.The lake derives its water from glaciers.The reflection of the mountains in the lake was ethereal, which makes this place worth to visit for its beauty and natural Splendor. This lake considered sacred by Buddhists, Sikhs and Hindus. This sacred lake has an area of 290 acres and a length stretching to 5.34 kilometres.
Location: It is located in the Great Himalayas in the Mangan District in Sikkim, this lake sits in close proximity to the Tibetan and Chinese border in the north.
Ancient History: The lake is named after Guru Padmasambhava also known as Guru Rinpoche founder of Tibetan Buddhism, who visited in the 8th century.According to ancient tales, Sikh Guru Padmasambhava blessed the lake when he visited Sikkim. A part of this sacred lake remains unfrozen at zero temperatures.
How To Reach: I will suggest you to stay a night at Lachen as it takes 3-4 hours to reach Gurudongmar Lake from Lachen.One can hire a taxi from the airport to reach Lachen. If you are planning to travelling by train, the nearest railway station is New Jalpaiguri, West Bengal. All major trains going towards Guwahati pass through New Jalpaiguri.Then hire a car to reach Lachen.
1. Wear a pair of thermals (both lower and upper) which will act as the innermost protective layer. Above your tees or shirts, wear a sweater. You will need one warm and thick jacket or sweater at Lake Gurudongmar for sure as it is very windy there.
2.As the oxygen levels of this place are very low carry camphor (Kapur) or you can take Diamox for altitude sickness or any other medicines which prevents or reduces the symptoms of alltitude sickness . Also, it is not recommended to stay there for long because the lack of oxygen can cause some serious illness. Lastly slow your movement there.
3. Carry light packed breakfast / food and a flask of hot water as there is nothing on the way till the return to Lachen.
4.Try to reach there early in the morning around 8 to 9 am , in order to beat the crowds and the winds which blow since late morning.
Rules and Permission:
1. To visit Gurudongmar lake you need permission and this lake is permissible only for Indian Nationals.
No foreigners will be allowed to visit Gurudongmar lake, because it is a part of the International border area.
For permission you can pay to an agent or your travel agent. Our driver did our permission. For permission you need a passport size photograph and x-rox of voter ID card, aadhaar is not acceptable. In North Sikkim you need permission to visit some places like Nathula pass,. Changu lake etc.
Must Read: highest lake in india
2. As it is a scared place don't littering there. Also don't throw plastic packets, bottles there to protect the environment.
3. Don't take photos near army Camp or in photo prohibited areas.
I am on instagram as @living_fossils_