In India, only four wildlife sanctuaries were made to preserve these blackbucks and the most beautiful amongst them with the highest chances of spotting is in Rehekuri Blackbuck Sanctuary. Located in Karjat, Ahmednagar, this dry deciduous scrub forest is spread approximately 2.17 square kilometres. The wildlife park is small in size but provides interesting exploration trails.
This place is a hit with the locals, tourists and nature lovers for its wide variety of flora and fauna. Blackbuck, also known as the Indian antelope is the sole extant member of the genus antilope and is famous for its unique jump and for being the fastest running animal in India. Blackbucks in Maharashtra are referred to as kalvit and the male blackbuck easily stands out for its long spiral horns. The number of this species has increased to approximately 400. The area of the sanctuary is a lush rich grassland.
Along with the blackbucks, you can also spot other species like chinkara, wolf and the Indian fox along with a wide range of bird species. So, take out your DSLR and satiate all your wildlife photography desires.
Things to Know
• Be patient and keep quiet so as to not alarm the blackbucks, while on the walking trail.
• It is advisable to bring your own food and water. Carry a water bottle along. Stay hydrated.
• Consumption of alcohol or any other intoxicants is strictly prohibited during the tour.
• The tourists have the option to either take a jeep safari or trek the long stretches of the route with a guide.
• It is advisable to stick to the decided routes so that you do not get lost.
• An exciting way to see the blackbucks is to join a day-long photography tour to the sanctuary. Check the options online.
• You will have to pay an entry fee to visit the sanctuary. Safari timings are from 7.00 am to 3.00 pm. Check the schedule before visiting.
• Full sleeves t-shirts are preferable as you can get exposed to an insect bite.
The sanctuary doesn’t have any places to stay except the forest guest house, which is not easily available. Make sure you have prior arrangements in case you want to stay at the guest house. However, there are budget hotels and homestays in the nearby town Karjat.