A trip to Leh is an experience in itself, and if you plan to visit Leh in summer, then here is a list of things to remember:
1. Book your flight tickets at least 6 months in advance to get the best deal. With only a handful of daily flights to Leh, ticket prices soar high as the peak season nears.
2. Pre-reserve your window seats, when you check-in 48 hrs or 24 hrs (depending on your airlines) before your flight day. Beautiful landscapes await you on your flight to Leh and you don't want to miss them. For our trip we woke at 6 in the morning to get the best seats :P. Believe us the view is worth the trouble
3. Pre-book seats towards the left of the plane i.e. towards ‘A’ side. If you book towards the right of the aircraft, the sun shines directly in your face.
4. Book seats towards the start or the end of the aircraft. Avoid booking right over the wing. Check with your airlines for rows that do not have a window. This may not be indicated in the seating diagram at check-in and you may end up with a window seat with a missing window! Psst: We managed to do just that and ended up on row 15 on jet airways flying Delhi- Leh which to our horror did not have any window! Luckily for us we managed to secure another seat at the emergency window with more leg room :)
5. Leh is a military airport and photography is banned at the airport. However, we were not asked to refrain from photography by either the airline staff or the military personnel guarding the airbase. When you get down at the airport, be prepared to be spell-bound by the landscapes. If the military does not intrude, then by all means go shutter crazy.