Dubrovnik is a unique and bewitching coastal town that has become the crowning glory of Croatia in recent years. The city is not only a UNESCO World Heritage Site, but also the place where parts of super popular TV show Game Of Thrones are shot. The Shah Rukh Khan-starrer Fan was also shot in this city making it a popular tourist attraction for Indians now! However, it's not just a famous shooting location; Dubrovnik has much more to offer. It is a glittering jewel in the Adriatic Sea bordering Croatia and it holds the power to leave you asking for more. The city's white limestone streets, buildings from the Baroque era and the shimmering Adriatic Sea will leave you mesmerised.
One can spend a week, a month or even a year here and not get tired of this city, but for those who are on a tight budget, dedicate at least three days to see this city.
What to see:
1. Walk along the Old City, Dubrovnik's best feature. It is the perfect place for a casual stroll to enjoy excellent views over the Adriatic Sea and the Old City centre.
2. Walk on Stradun Street, the most famous street within the Old City. It is lined with shopping stalls and cafes on both sides and a great place to grab a cup of coffee and just relax.
3. Don't miss out on Walking The Walls, a great architectural site in the city, and also the place where Game Of Thrones is shot.
4. Take a cable car ride to Srđ Hill for the most amazing aerial views of the city.
5. Visit Fort Lovrijenac, dubbed as 'Croatia's Gibraltar', and Croatia's most prominent fortress.
6. Visit the beautiful Dominican and Franciscan monasteries.
7. Spend a day visiting the Elaphite Islands surrounding Dubrovnik.
8. Take a Game Of Thrones tour and visit all the spots where the show is shot.
1. Prices around Old Town are really high, so try and negotiate and go in a large group rather than alone.
2. Public transport in Dubrovnik is also cheap and efficient.
3. You can reach the top of Srđ Hill by taxi as well, if the line to the cable car is too long.
Costs Per Day
Local Transport (Bus & Metro): Rs. 500 (50 Croatian Kuna)
Taxi Starting Tariff: Rs. 60/km
Hotel Stay: Average price for a night per person is Rs. 4500 (450 Croatian Kuna)
A Meal: A lunch or dinner without alcohol will cost you around Rs. 1500 (150 Croatian Kuna), and with alcohol around Rs. 3000 (300 Croatian Kuna).