Train from Mumbai to Delhi - 8 hour pitstop at Delhi Railway Station
Bus from Delhi to Jammu
Share taxi from Jammu to Srinagar - Overnight pitstop at Dal Lake in a boathouse
Hired cab from Srinagar to Kargil - Overnight pitstop at Kargil
Same hired cab took us from Kargil to Leh.
I returned via the Manali route:
Tempo Traveller from Leh to Manali
HRTC bus from Manali to Dehi
Rajdhani train from Delhi to Mumbai
I went with an awesome group called Journeys with Meaning. Few joined me from Jammu and the group united in Srinagar.
- Lunch at Sonmargh, Jammu (the best rajma chawal), introduction to butter chai at Drass and visit to Kargil War Memorial on my way to Leh
- Ladakh homestay (highly recommended with Ecological Footprints, Leh)
- Trip to Tso Moriri rather than the touristy Pangong Tso. We even got to meet some nomadic tribes who had put up their tents and invited us in! They reared pashmina goats.
- River rafting on the Indus
- Cycling down Khardung la
- Visits to Thikse and Namgyal monastery
- Volunteering at SECMOL (Students Educational and Cultural Movement Of Ladakh)
- The pitstops at Delhi, Srinagar and Kargil are very welcome and worthwhile and help with the AMS
- Return via Manali route - it's gorgeous and if you have time you can stay a bit at Manali
- Home stays are highly recommended. Ladakhis are super friendly and extremely hospitable - you'll feel like home, know a lot about the culture, make great friends and really know the place
Frequent Searches Leading To This Page:-
Best Time to Visit Leh, Places to Visit in Leh, Best Tour Packages for Leh, Top Leh Tour Packages for Family, Top Leh tour packages with price, Budget Trip Packages for Group to Leh, Things to do in Leh, Leh Holiday Tour Packages