Travel Itinerary :
- 1:00 P.M - Bangalore to Shivamoga Bus
- 5:00 A.M - Reached Shivamoga, boarded the bus to Agumbe
- 7:00 A.M - Reached Agumbe, went to Malgudi days house, Met the jolly Akka who sevved us hot Malt.
- 8:00 A.M - Reached Kigga, couldn't proceed from Agumbe side as we didnt have the permission from forest dept.
- 9:00 A.M - Started the trek from Kigga
- 12:00 P.M - Reached the Top of Narsimha Parvatha
- Set up fire, camps. Trek in the evening to see the sunset, star gazing at night.
- 8:00 A.M - Started descending after a peaceful long sleep and breakfast.
- 9:30 A.M - Reached Kigga base.
- Visited Srimane falls and the famous Sringeri temple.
- 2:00 P.M - Boarded bus from Sringeri
- 10:00 P.M - Reached Bangalore
Narsimha Parvatha is one of the best treks I've ever been to. One of the reason for that is the fact that it is not that famous as Kumara parvatha or mullayanagiri, So you wont find any company here, but is equally serene and peaceful.
The fact that the place is not that famous has made it a delight for trekkers who've been longing for peace and solitude with a decent length of trek,6 KMs (3-4 hours).
There are two ways to reach Narsimha Parvatha - One from Kigga (the one we took) and other from Agumbe (16 KMs difficult trek). We couldn't get the permission from Forest department to go from Agumbe (which was the initial plan). There were rumours of Naxal activities and presence of a wild elephant in the area. Everyone we talked to advised us not to camp at the top in the night.
But after a long journey of 350+ KMs in a seater bus from Bangalore, we were not in a mood to go back without staying at the top in the night. We were carrying 2 tents and 4 sleeping bags for 4 of us and decent amount of ready to eat food. Hence, were all prepared to spend the night at the top.
We started the trek at around 9 A:M and reached the top by 12. Took hardly any breaks in between.
And when we thought that nothing can go wrong and we have everything we need to spend the night, found out that we were carrying only 1.5 litres of water!!
WTH, We felt like such noobs after so much of Prep and planning for the Trek. But As we approached the abandoned house at the top of the hill, we found a small stream of water. We started shouting like kids, running all around the top! Never had i realized the value of water so much. We filled our bottles and camped near the abandoned house.
Watched the sunset from the top, and started setting up fire. Cooked and had noodles and Pongal (Yum!).
If you are up for some star Gazing, this is the place. I had not seen so many stars in my entire life! Took few shots of the sky (check out the pics) and managed to get few good clicks( Missed the Tripod).
We slept at around 9 and started descending at 8 in the morning. Took us just more than an hour to reach the base. The locals who warned us not to spend the night at the top met us the next day. They were pleased to know that we survived. We found out that even they had not been to the top ever, despite staying so close to it :p
We then went to the Srimane falls which was 5 KMs away from Kigga, took an auto (charged Rs. 200 for round trip with 30 minutes waiting! Whoa!)
Took bath at the falls, the water stream was damn fast, stood under it to feel the force. We were all charged up after that!
Finally went to Srimane(where the bus stop is ) and visited the famous temple there. Took a bus back to Bangalore at around 2P:M and reached at 10 P:M(decent time amid the heavy rainfall en route).