If you are traveling to Coorg, you probably would be aware of the numerous homestays and airbnbs which are flourishing. For those who really want to get away from the hustle bustle of the city, this vintage homestay named School Thota , situated in a massive coffee plantation built in 1878 is the perfect place to rejuvenate. This place was thrown open to general public by the mother-son duo - Mrs. K. Saraswathi Aiyappa & Mr. K.A. Kushalppa in 2014. They are the most gracious hosts and will keep you entertained with many anecdotes and history of School Thota, Kodagu culture and civilization et al.
The bungalow is a magnificent with beautiful German architecture and the moment you enter the bungalow, it transports you to a bygone era with the high ceilings, teak winding staircase, the sparkling chandelier, the furniture and memorabilia which has been handed down over generations.
There are a total of 4 bedrooms and every room of the bungalow is cozy and oozes warmth. They exude an old colonial charm with its fireplaces, wooden flooring and antique furniture. They have kept Saregama Caravan in the rooms which plays classic songs and shayaris :)
There are no televisions in the rooms which gives the guests more time to interact with the hosts and spend more time with nature.
What you can do in School Thota
1. Walk through the Coffee Estate and learn all about the processes from bean to producing coffee
2. They have an in-built library- find a nook and spend your day reading.
3. Indoor games are available like cards, darts, chess etc.
4. You can go to the stream which flows inside the estate and do fishing. There are several picnic spots inside the estate developed by the hosts.
5. Enjoy delicious home cooked coorgi cuisine made from organic vegetables grown in the estate.
How To Book?
They are not listed on any of the sites like goibibo or MMT. You can go to their website http://www.schoolthota.com/index.php and call them for advance bookings.
The room rent per night starts from Rs. 5000 depending on the type of room. You can enjoy home cooked delicious food as well by paying extra. Please inform them in advance about your meal preferences.
Distance from School Thota
Siddapura - 3kms, Madikeri - 30 kms, Dubare Elephant Camp - 20kms, Golden Monastery - 40kms.