People display unbelievable cruelty to leeches — snipping them in half with scissors or a twig, burning them with cigarette butts, and sprinkling salt or insecticide on them and take satisfaction as the tiny creature writhe to death. In reality, leeches are benign and they don’t transmit diseases. In fact, we should not forget that each organism has a role to play in the food chain. There are certain birds that preyed on them. If you take the leech population out of the rainforest, that means you’re wiping out the birds from their habitat too.
I also strongly recommend to not use any chemicals (Bygone to be specific) as rain would wash these dangerous chemicals on to the forest floor. Besides being a parasite, leech has its own medicinal use as well. Some people use it to remove poison from the human body and they are also helping to restore blood circulation.
If you are bitten by a leech and are compelled to remove it before it has had its full (leeches drop off on their own when they are done feeding), you can do so by following these steps:
1. Identify the anterior (oral) sucker which will be found at the small end of the leech.
2. Put your finger on your skin adjacent to the oral sucker
3. Gently but firmly slide your finger toward the wound where the leech is feeding. Using your fingernail, push the sucker sideways away from your skin.
4. Once you have dislodged the oral sucker, quickly detach the posterior (rear) sucker (the fat end of the leech). Try flicking the leech or prodding with your fingernail. As you work to remove the leech, it will attempt to reattach itself.
5. Keep the wound clean -- minor cuts in tropical climates can quickly become infected. The leech itself is not poisonous. The wound will itch as it heals.
So woolla ..don’t let yourself avoid the amazing monsoon treks and exploration just because of these tiny harmless monster. Keep feeding your adventurous soul and keep trekking.