If you are in Kanpur and are craving for some good Chinese food, there are some very good places which serve this cuisine and each of these restaurants have their own unique taste and specialities.
1) ChopSticks - Chopsticks which is located in Nadri Bazaar in Swaroop Nagar is no fine dine restaurant and most probably they do not even have a sitting area present. The options that are left are to either get the food delivered home or to eat while sitting inside your vehicle . Eating food inside your car is a very popular practise in the city of Kanpur and I'm not sure that the same is practised in any other city as much. Coming to the food , it is more Indianised than any Chinese food I've eaten yet it is more delicious than most chinese food joints. Be it the soups, fried rice, noodles or chilly chicken all the items are delectable despite being slightly high on spices.
Cost for Two - Rs 450
What's Best - Chilly Chicken, Manchurian and Noodles.
2) Chung Fa - The Family restaurant which is located in Mall Road has been a favourite restaurant especially those belonging to my father's generation . The restaurant has witnessed a change in management over the years yet the quality and taste of food has not changed much. They have a pretty decent sitting area for families and also have a small area dedicated for private parties. The food is not as Indianized as Chopstick and makes a refreshing change once a while from the normal monotonous food. They have a wide variety of soups and an extensive menu overall offering multiple options in type of chicken, rice or noodles one wants to order. They also serve Thai cuisine.
Cost for Two - Rs 700
What's Best - Soups, Chilly Chicken Dry, Kung Pao Chicken
3) Chin Mi - This is the ultimate restaurant for authentic Chinese food in Kanpur. Though authentic Chinese food in India is more or less a misnomer, this restaurant comes quite close to it . The restaurant with a classy interiors is located inside Rave 3 Mall in Tilak Nagar area and is probably the most upscale of all Chinese restaurants in Kanpur. Be assured that paying a visit to this place won't be easy on your pocket, yet the taste as well as the experience is well worth your every penny spent. Apart from this their servings usually are good as well and won't disappoint you. They have a pretty decent variety.
Cost for Two - Rs 1500
What's Best - Hakka Noodles, Chop Suey
4) Shanghai Chinese Restaurant - The only Chinese Restaurant in Kanpur still owned by a Chinese - Mr Peter Lim. You would definitely get a lot of personalized attention from Mr Lim as he himself is present most of the times. This is a very quaint little restaurant situated in Phoolbagh area of Kanpur having enough space for 5 to 6 tables and the Interiors with the Chinese Lanterns reminding you of one of the Tibetan restaurants found in the Himalayas. The portions of the food are quite good and the place is relatively cheaper. They too have a good variety and serve one of the best prawns in Kanpur .
Cost for Two - Rs 600
What's Best - Chicken Garlic Sauce, Fried Rice, Prawns
5) Purple Wok - This isn't completely Chinese cuisine per se but their food category does fall closest to Chinese only. They basically serve noodles or rice or portein items cooked in a wok in a variety of Asian sauces in a small noodle box which you can either eat there or takeway. Purple Wok is a national franchise and Kanpur I guess was the third city where they had launched and today they have two outlets in Kanpur - one at Kakadeo and other one at Swaroop Nagar. Even though their packaging is quite good and you can order through one of the delivery apps, I would recommend to visit one of the outlets and try their food out there in order to get the best flavour.
Price for Two - Rs. 450
What's Best - Depends on how spicy you like your food. Everything served hot is good.
Kanpur is and has always been a foodie town with people relishing food here as if there would be no tomorrow. Chinese food is not limited to these restaurants and many more eating joints are springing up here on a daily basis. But, yes all of these do offer a great Chinese food experience which should not be missed if you are living or visiting Kanpur.