Allepey(Alappuzha), "Venice of the East" and Munnar ,south India's largest tea-growing region, the rolling hills carpeted in emerald-green tea plantations, contoured, clipped and sculpted like ornamental hedges. They are just magnificent – you’re often up above the clouds watching veils of mist clinging to the mountaintops.These places are really gifts of god in "God's own Country". Truely termed as paradise on earth are worth visiting.
The Trip : Bangalore to Ernakulam by train. Spent some quality time at the Marine drive in Ernakulam. Ernakulam to Allepey by Bus. Stay at Allepy . Allepey to Munnar by bus.Stay at Chairman's resort in Munnar. Return from Munnar to Bangalore by bus.
Things to carry: Goggles, sun protection cream, cotton wear, camera.
Things to do:
Ernakulam: Sunset or sunrise Boating at marine drive,
Allepey: 1. House boat stay at Allepy
2. Enjoy the beaches at sunrise ,sunset
3. Ayurvedic spa: there are many spa places in Alappuzha, and most of them are traditionally run by families.
4. Local boat jetty (Run by government for villagers) visit: It will hardly cast you 10-20 Rs for 4 hrs and you can see the village life in and around water, backwater, rice paddy, water pathways and many more.
5. Enjoy Banana Chips :)
Munnar: 1. Elephant Ride
2. Kalaripayattu & Kathakali show (Punarjani Village is very much famous)
3.Tea & other herbs purchase @ KDHP showroom Main market of munnar (Kanan Devan Hills Plantations)
4. Visit to Mattupetty Dam , Attukal Waterfalls, Eravikulam National Park.
5. Rose garden : These garden not only have Rose, but have large variety of other flowers and cactus. Entire garden is beautifully maintain and managed.
6. Photo Point : (2 km from Munnar). It is a small place filled with woods and a small stream. Good location to take photos.
7. Echo Point : (15 km from Munnar), on the way to top station from Munnar is a small lake set amidst rolling hills. Every loud call made from a spot on the lake embankment is returned manifold by the echo from the surrounding hills.
8. Tata Tea Museum : A very interesting 30-minute film is screened, and visitors are then taken around the factory to understand how tea is processed. This museum remains open from 10AM-4PM every day, closed on Mon.We were offered tea for tasting. We can purchase tea from there at the counters.
Food joints: Being a vegetarian, I heard that it will be difficult to get good food in Kerala but that was not the case.We found a a number of restaurants with good food.
@ Munnar : Mahaveer Veg Restaurant, Kalinivas Building, Main Road, Munnar, ☎ +91 48 6523 1677 (+91 99 4629 2907). Provides authentic North-Indian food with style ranging from Gujarati to Punjabi and delicious rotis. Meals start from Rs 105/-. Only vegetarian food served.
@ Allepey : Indian Coffee House : Opposite Aleepey Jewellers,Mullackal Road, Mullakkal, Alappuzha