Jump of my Life

27th Apr 2018

On the edge.. 3...2...1...

Photo of Jump of my Life by Abhishek Kumar

I had always heard of people doing extreme adventure sports, but never thought that I would be able to do it any day. Looking at videos of people doing sky diving, bunjee jumping etc, always made me feel it was not meant for me. When the videos brought goosebumps, it was very difficult even to imagine myself in that situation.

But it happened. I had planned for a trek to Pangarchulla trek in Uttrakhand and had to visit through Haridwar for the same.

After booking for the trek with one of my friends one of my friends, we decided to visit Rishikesh and do the famous Bunjee Jumping there.

I thought several times whether I should go for it or not. It was same with her, but somewhere we wanted to do it and overcome that fear. So we finally booked it.

We reached Rishikesh from Delhi early moring on the day of the event and checked into a backpacker hostel near Laksham Jhoola. We reached there by 8:00 am and the event timing was 9:00. We were still doubtful whether we are ready for the event. And just to avoid the situation for some time, we decided to go in the 2nd half of the day.

But how long do we avoid. Eventually it was time to leave for the venue of the event. We took the bus service and reached the venue.

We had booked for 2 events, flying fox and bunjee jumping.

Flying fox, as we had some past experience, we decided to do first, the reason was only to avoid the bunjee as ling as possible. We went to the spot for flying fox. It was thrilling when the staff members were putting the harness on the body.

And suddenly we were flying at a speed of approximately 140km/hr. Amazing feeling it was. And in no time from a hill top, we were just near to the ground.

After this, it was the time for bunjee jumping. And the entire wait was over when we reached the bunjee platform. Every moment I was trying to divert my thoughts not think about how I'm going to jump.

The harness was on. And the bunjee rope was fixed to the harness.

In no time I was standing at the edge of the platform ready for the biggest jump of my life.

Great motivation from the crew, nothing worked. The only thing that worked was telling yourself forget everything and jump.

And the count, 3... 2... 1... and I was in the air.

For a second I couldn't realise what happened to me. And after 2 seconds I realised I was still alive. That was the moment when I enjoyed the most. Flying in the air, moving up and down shounting on the top of my voice in excitement and thrill.

And in few seconds I reached the ground. The staff confirmed that I was all okay.

It was a crazy moment and I did something I had never thought of doing in my life.

I feel this task helped to me to overcome my fear and is something one should try.

For me, this is just the start. I'm sure there are many more to come.

"Contest entry for The Adventurer Blog Contest May 2018 by Bikat Adventures"