(September to November) This is the best time to visit Seoul because weather is pleasant, prices are more affordable, and crowds are thinner. Do take note to avoid Chuseok or Korea’s autumn harvest festival.
Climate | Seoul
Temp Min- 0 Degree, Max- 11 Degree, Rains- 46mm
Climate | Jeju Island
Temp Min- 10 Degree, Max- 16 Degree, Rains- 62mm
Important information and Travel Essentials
• Most places, museums, and shops close on Mondays and Tuesdays
• A lot of cosmetic stores hold sales starting on Thursdays and up to the weekend.
• Passport: Make sure your passport has at least six months validity and one empty page left.
• Flight tickets: When coming to Korea, you need to have a return/leaving flight otherwise you won’t be accepted onto the flight. It is also useful to have a paper copy to show to the airport staff.
• Hotel reservations: upon arrival in Korea you’ll be asked to fill in your first night’s hotel address on the landing card at immigration. Make sure you have a booking for the first night and having a paper printout is useful to refer to.
• Travel insurance is vital for Korea and indeed anywhere in the world. Korean health care is excellent but can get expensive. You also want to insure your luggage and flights in case there are damages or delays.
• Credit Cards and Debit Cards: Visa and MasterCard are accepted everywhere in Korea. Make sure to check with your bank if your card can be used abroad.
• Traveling In Seoul: When traveling around Seoul you need a T Money Transport card for using public transport.
• Naver Maps: Essential for exact locations and directions
T- Card Purchase details
In South Korea, travelers can buy a Single Journey Ticket or a rechargeable card called T-money Card. These cards can be used for all the buses, subway, and taxis. If you’ve forgotten to bring your wallet, you can even make payments with these cards in convenience stores.
Where to buy your T-money Card
Can easily purchase the basic T-money Card at retail convenience stores such as CU, GS25, and 7-Eleven. The card itself costs 2,500 KRW. Nowadays, Kakao Friends is gaining a huge popularity and it has released T-money Cards with totally cute Kakao characters. These cards cost 4,000 KRW
Visa application process
Foreign nationals entering Korea are generally required to have a valid passport and a Korean visa assigned by overseas branch of Korean embassy or consular offices. For Indian citizens travelling to Korea, a single-entry visa valid for 90 days is usually issued.
In India, Visa application centers are divided into 4 zones: North (Delhi), East (Kolkata), South (Chennai) and West (Mumbai).
• North & East zone applicants must apply through VFS office at http://www.vfsglobal.com/korea/india/
• South & West zone applicants can apply directly at their respective Korean consulate offices. We applied through Girikand travels- 2900 Visa fees + 1600/- processing fees per person
• Original passport valid for a minimum period of three months after the expiry date of the visa (passports issued more than ten years ago are no longer accepted)* and 1 old passport if applicable plus one copy of the first and last page of the current passport. The passport should have 3 blank pages (either side).
• Visa application form.
• 2 recent photographs not older than 6 months. The photograph must measure 35 mm in width by 45 mm in length. 80 % face size, white background, ears should be seen, no specs.
• Covering letter mentioning details of the applicants, passport details, brief details of visit.
• Hotel Reservation.
• Confirmed Return Air ticket.
• Original personal bank for last 6 months updated with seal & sign on each page with healthy balance.
• Salary slips for last 6 months.
• Leave letter on company letter head with seal & sign
• Business proof , shop act registration proof, MOA etc. – if self-employed( covering letter on company letter head
• Retirement proof – if retired
• School / College Bona-fide if student
• Income Tax Returns or Form 16 for last 3 years.
• Day to day itinerary
Average food prices in South Korea in dollar (priceoftravel.com)
• Budget breakfast- if your hotel doesn't include breakfast there are plenty of fast and cheap options- 2.49 - 5.81 Dollars
• Budget lunch- Look for places where locals go for good-value and good quality lunches- 3.74 - 8.31 Dollars
• Budget dinner- Proper sit-down restaurants range in price greatly, but cheaper ones are there if you look-4.98 - 9.97 Dollars
Important Words to remember
Contrary to what we read everywhere, Korean people actually could speak and understand English very well. However, it always helps to at least learn the basic salutations in any country you visit.
• Hello/Goodbye – An-nyeong-ha-se-yo
• Thank you – Kam-sa-ham-ni-da
• I can’t speak Korean well – Han-guk-mal jal mot-hae-yo