1. Gyro: Shaved roasted meat stuffed in a pita, along with ingredients such as tomato, onion, and tzatziki sauce. Approximate takeaway price is 3-5€ at a good location like Monastiraki square.
2. Souvlaki: Small pieces of grilled skewered meat stuffed in a pita, along with ingredients such as tomato, onion, and tzatziki sauce. Approximate takeaway price is 3-5€ at a good location like Monastiraki square.
3. Koulouri: A crispy circular bread encrusted with sesame seeds or flax seeds. A very common Greek breakfast item. It is available in many varieties and locations with prices never exceeding an Euro or two. Best to have it with coffee. Price: 1-2€ [Try at: any street vendor at metro stations or squares]
4. Dolmades: Veggies (mostly aubergine and onions) and/or minced meat stuffed and wrapped in vine leaves. We had it as a snack and it was quite filling. Price: 10-12€ [Try at: Bairaktaris]
5. Spanakopita: We never had this type of snack ever before. Simply put it is a spinach pie. But when you have it, then the numerous layers of spinach, onion/spring onion and feta cheese will just leave you craving for more. You can get it at any street side patisserie. Price: 2-2.5€ [Try at: Ariston, Stani]
6. Confectioneries: If snacking is something that you can't avoid, then Ariston is what you should be looking for. The mouth watering variety at Ariston will leave you awestruck!
7. Fava Beans: A plate of mashed Fava Beans is a common Greek delicacy. Be careful as it will fill you up and leave craving for more [Restaurants: Bariaktaris(Athens), Stamna (Santorini)]
8. Pork steak: Greeks love their meat, whether inside a pita or a whole steak. Don't miss out on the juicy and sumptuous steaks in your Greek tour.
9. Tzatziki Sauce: It a special Greek Sauce served usually side dip, topping or filling. It’s made with strained yoghurt, cucumber, garlic, herbs and topped with olive oil. Like many, our taste buds were left unsatiated with the small amount of dips and fillings we got. So we ordered a side dish of Tzatziki-it was topped with ample quantity of olive oil and both its texture and taste were heavenly. Price: 3-6€. [Restaurants: Stamna in Fira]
10. Greek Salad: An inseparable part of any Greek meal is Greek Salad. Though available in many varieties throughout the world, you must not miss the original version: pieces of tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, herbs and olives, topped with a big and thick piece of feta cheese. It will be seasoned with salt and olive oil in ample quantity as you wish. [Restaurants: Hero's Souvlaki in Fira]
11. Sausage platter: You may either have the meat rolled in a pita bread or have it on a platter with pita, fries and salads as sides. We tried the Sausage platter. Try it if you have a savage appetite. [Restaurant: Hero's Souvlaki, Fira]
12. Saganaki: A must try for all cheese lovers. Simply put it is a big and thick slice of cheese (usually feta cheese) deep fried in a pan. It will be brown and crunchy on the outside and soft and juicy inside. It is usually served with a slice of lemon. It is eaten mostly as an appetizer. Non-cheese lovers (like me) may find it a bit too salty but surely worth trying. Price: 10-12 € [Try at: Bairaktaris (Athens); Stamna (Fira)]
13. Moussaka: It is more of baked pie primarily consisting of aubergine (eggplant) and tomato. Usually it consists of minced meat but you can also get the meatless variety. It is often topped with Bechamel sauce before baking. It will melt in your mouth and give a burst of tastes. Additionally you may ask for grated cheese to top up. Price: 4-6€ [Restaurants: Stamna in Fira]
14. Sea Food: Greece having a long coastline and islands, sea food forms a major portion of its cuisine. We tried the Octopus in Fira. It was gooood. Price: As per size and preparation (expect to be on the higher side) [Restaurants: in Fira;
15. Greek Wine: As per our suggestion never go for the high brands if you are a tourist. Invest in the locally brewed wines which are available in so many exquisite flavours. Yu can find in most local groceries/supermarkets. Price: 7-10€. [Bought from a supermarket in Thissio near our AirBNB]