Bapatla Town - view from Hotel Seatel
Suryalanka BeachWe headed to Suryalanka Beach next morning. We were wiser now so took a shared auto to the beach. It cost us INR 15/ person which did not pinch at all.The beach was crowded given it was a Sunday. The crowd mostly consisted of locals and from nearby areas. Tourists like us, were few in numbers. We came across tiny crabs, huge number of them. They live inside the sand on the seashore and play hide and seek with you, as you walk.It was sultry and the sun was at zenith but the sea-breeze made us feel better. We ate at the nearby Haritha Resort restaurant which was economical and the food was good too. Street food in Suryalanka wasn't an option for me considering I'm an eggitarian; the fare consisted of dried and fresh fishes of different kinds.We stayed on the beach until sunset when we knew we have to catch the bus back home. The sun going down was a beautiful vision.At around 2000 hrs, we took a bus back home, along with a lot of memories we made in the last 2 days of our quick stay at Bapatla / Suryalanka.
Places to stay:
Old bus stand, GBC Road, NH214A, Bapatla
Telephone# 08643-222269 / 9502299664
Room tariff : Double Room (what we paid) : INR 1100/day
24 hours checkout time.
Verdict: For what you pay, you get a decent air-conditioned room with attached bathroom. The minions also provide you room service - food and liquor for a very small convenience fee. Recommended for backpackers.
Haritha Beach Resort
Telephone# 08643-224616 / 9948399759
Room Tariff: keeps changing; rooms can be booked online (suggested)
Verdict: Good rooms and the perfect place for a vacation. It is by the beach and hence the proximity. Pricing may not suit backpackers but is the best option around.
- Apart from the Suryalanka Beach, the main attraction and the Bhavannarayana Swami Temple built by the Cholas in 465 AD, there is no other notable place to see in Bapatla. It is the beach that attracts most number of people.
- Language could be a problem if you're a tourist from any other state in India or from an international destination. Hire a guide or contact someone locally who can take you here. The main language spoken here is Telugu and a few people speak Hindi or English.
- The beach closes by 2100 hrs (9 PM) so if you do not have your own car and are staying in the Bapatla town, it is good to plan to leave early.
- Staying at the Haritha Beach resort is a good option if you do not have budget constraints and want to enjoy a view of the beach, for a peaceful stay.
- As told by a reliable source, you get good non-vegetarian food here. There are less pure vegetarian restaurants here.
- Distance from Bapatla to Suryalanka = 12 kilometers or 7.5 miles
- Best time to travel : between October to February when the weather is cool and comfortable.
- Clothes: Light clothes. Skimpy clothes not suggested.