There is no such regulation against clothing in Egypt except when visiting religious places, and you can wear whatever you wish. But I realised that I was getting a ton of attention as it is and dressing in shorts would have made it worse. This doesn’t mean there aren’t any women wearing shorts. This was my personal choice and you should do what makes you feel comfortable.
So how do you avoid all this drama and experience the best of Egypt?
1) If you do not wish to go through any of the drama, I recommend you join a tour group and let them handle all your itinerary. I am not someone who is a big fan of tour groups and I felt like herds of sheep were being rounded up in all the locations. I like to spend time at every location and just enjoy being there.
2) Egypt shouldn’t be your first country for solo travel. It can form a negative perception of solo travel on you.
3) Buy a sim card as soon as you land so that you can have access to the internet and use Uber wherever you can. This also saves you from giving out your real number.
4) Check the locality of your hostel/hotel. This is a very important point as there are many shady places in Cairo and you could easily feel uncomfortable. I stayed at the Holy Sheet Hostel in Cairo and at the Steigenberger Nile Palace in Luxor.
5) Make sure you share your location and taxi plate number with a person you trust every day and keep in contact with them.
6) To avoid the taxi drama, I recommend you hire a new taxi every day instead of sticking to one like me. Another way to avoid being proposed is you say you are married or have a boyfriend.
After all this, would I recommend Egypt for travel?
Hell yeah!!! Egypt is one of the most fascinating countries that I have visited. The food, the culture and the fact that you get to walk through history should be enough reason for you to visit. I learned a lot about Egyptian history and every day I felt privileged to be able to see that history come to life. This article was not to stop you or give you negative feedback but just to prepare you for what is waiting on the other side. I hope this helps you prepare mentally whenever you chose to visit the land of Mummies.
For more such travel tips, follow me on Instagram.
Ready to travel for free? Earn credits and redeem them on Tripoto’s weekend getaways, hotel stays and vacation packages!