We woke up to the smell of rain and the sound of thunder in the middle of March on an Island that was supposed to be humid and hot. As mentioned earlier, one person was departing early on a 1pm flight to Bengaluru. Looking at the downpour chaos was all around in the house/Airbnb, survival instincts began to kick in. We were planning on stocking fruits/grocery at home imagining the worst case scenario. But things went awry, yet again, as the girl who was supposed to leave on 8am flight tomorrow just got notified that her flight got canceled.This created a domino effect of stress between everyone and instantly all eyes were on their individual phones to check if their flights were delayed/canceled too. In between this chaos, the guy who was supposed to leave today was all packed and set to leave for Bengaluru and some of us helped him walk down the street from where we were able to hire an auto to the airport. And the girl whose flight got canceled was on a mission to leave the island and reach mainland India on any next available flight and any destination as she was worried. She packed her luggage and waved goodbye to the group and went to the Airport to book the next available flight. I tagged along with her to Airport and helped her in any way possible.
Airport was just a mess! Like hers, many other airlines too started canceling the flights and everyone was in a hurry to catch any available flight to any mainland city. We were literally running against the time and not to forget such a heavy rain. We both were at the counter and trying to check the available flights and book but as expected there was only one flight (same as the one that our other friend was in) and it was to Bengaluru at 1:30pm. When we started talking, there were about 7-8 seats and in no time as she was talking with her family on the phone, there remained just 1 seat. When we decided to book, one more guy came behind us to book it. He was so frustrated, worried and in a hurry that he just was not listening. Neither to me nor the ground hostess, even though we were already booking the last available seat for my friend. Eventually we did manage to book but that didn’t stop this stranger from raging on us. I stopped paying attention and just helped her get in. Once she got in, I bid her goodbye and returned to the auto. That stranger meanwhile was glaring at me. Well, I hope you reached home safe and sound my friend.
I returned to Airbnb after knowing that she was safely onboard the same plane as that of our friend was on to Bengaluru. My friends wanted to buy souvenirs to give to friends and family, so they had booked a cab to pick them up at 4pm which would take them to Aberdeen Market. On reaching the market, it had stopped raining for some time and my friends were able to shop for everything they needed to buy. On their way back home in the cab, all of a sudden some phones started to chime at the same time. After looking at their phone, they started to panic as Indigo canceled all the flights that were scheduled to depart from PB tomorrow. Unfortunately, I was booked on that flight too. Now, we started looking for alternatives. Pretty sure their customer support was getting flooded with calls and messages from all the panicked people on the island. There were a lot of mishaps happening and our brains were not functioning completely to make definite decisions. While some were busy talking to customer support, I was busy searching for alternate flights. On my phone, I was ready with one flight on Ixigo while on the laptop, I was ready with the seat selection on the GoFirst flight scheduled for tomorrow (same flight that the other group was in). I guess we were a bit late in doing things fast as we couldn't confirm any of these flights for tomorrow. We ended up just confirming the full refund for the cancelled flight and paying more than double of our original flight charge for the GoFirst flight scheduled for the 21st to Bengaluru. The other group which was on a GoFirst flight didn't get any kind of update on flight cancellation at all. GoFirst customer care just kept on informing them that there's no cancellation as of now and flight is scheduled as per the timing. We went from hating GoFirst to preferring it in a span of this trip; they stood up to their tagline, “GoFirst: where you come first”. To conclude, one group’s flight was on schedule, another group had to take in this mess and ended up booking a GoFirst flight scheduled for 21st., 2 people left today itself: one as per plan and the other with no choice.