HAMPI- A village in northern Karnataka in India, is a haven to the travel freaks. The surreal boulder strewn landscape, interspersed by bright emerald paddy fields, and the amazing ruins, Solitary banks of River Tungabhadra, lanes that are lined with quaint Cafes/Shacks, can give you a real hippie vibe.
- Best Time to Visit Hampi: August to April
- Currency: Rupee
- Languages: Kannada
- How to reach by Air: 59kms from Bellary Airport
- How to reach by Railways: 13kms from Hospet Railway Station
— Hampi has so much to lure the traveller in you. Go, explore
1. THE GHAT- Bathing ghats at Hampi, on the bank of Tungabhadra river in Karnataka, Is truly once in a lifetime experience.
2. THE VIRUPAKSHA TEMPLE- This tower has been built such that an inverted shadow of this huge tower falls on the western wall of the temple through a small hole behind the sanctum.
3. THE BOULDERS- The first thing that strikes you about Hampi is the massive boulders, which lie all over the place, a perfect delight for the trekkers.
4. THE MUSICAL PILLARS- The temple has 56 odd rock solid pillars, which produces audible sound, when struck with a finger.
5. THE STONE CHARIOT- Mesmerising view of the ancient indian architecture, see it to believe it.
6. THE HEMAKUTA HILL- When the dawn breaks, trek up the Hemakuta Hill, to have a view of the rising sun.
7. THE LAKES- Need some "ME TIME"? Hampi has many isolated lakes, Go Fishing, Swim, cool off or just sit by the lake all evening. Ahh, Do not forget to try the mouth watering fresh fried fish prepared by the local vendors by the lake side.
8. THE MATANGA HILL- This is the best sunset point. Trek up to view over Hampi and the sunset.
9. THE STAY AT HUTS- To Soak up the spectacular views of rustic Hampi, Rent up a hut across the river and enjoy the view lying lazy in the hammock.
(700-1100 per day)
10. THE CYCLE TOUR- Ditch the motor vehicles, and explore the ruins on pedals. (rent a cycle for 30-50 RS per day)
11. THE EVEING AT DAM- If you are loner/ couple or need silence- drive through the amazing scenery, and visit the hidden Tungabadhra Dam.
12. THE BEAR SANCTUARY- Hampi is not just about monuments and architectural heritage. There is a wealth of natural heritage too, just waiting to be discovered.
13. THE MONKEY TEMPLE- In the end, do not forget to visit the Monkey temple. climbing 650 or so steps up at sunset and watching the sun go down across amazing views over the stunningly surreal scenery would give even the most atheist a special spiritual feeling.
14. THE RURUAL HAMPI- Experience the rural Indian life, the simplicity of the village homes, the lush green stretches of banana plantations and paddy fields, greeted by such beautiful vistas and cheerful people around- Hampi has it all !
15. THE CORACEL RIDE- Go, spinning round and round and round through the water. (A ride 50 Bucks per head )
16. THE HAMPI BAZZAR- The Hampi bazaar, dating hundreds of years now, offers you the best of handicrafts and dresses with tribal work and accessories. Girls, what are you waiting for ??
17. THE MARIJUNA FRIENDLY HAMPI- Yes, Go Hippie !
18. THE ELEPHANT TEMPLE- You can get a blessing from Lakshmi the temple elephant, only for rupees 10.
19. THE HIPPIE ISLAND- That puts all the rave parties destination to shame. Where strangers unite in music, some chilled beer and endless conversations.
20. THE OPEN AIR CAFES- The best thing that Hampi has to offer is this: Open air cafe with lodging facilities, Free Wi-Fi, Parking & laundry services, 24/7 multi-cuisine kitchen & Chilled beer by the river side ( Rent - 900-1100 bucks per day).
21. THE BRUNCH-SUPPER AT DURGA HUTS- A vegetarian-only place, it is quite good to tuck into pizzas, pastas, waffles, salads, sandwiches and a perfect cup of coffee. Its rooftop dining area with thatched roof has a pretty astounding view of the Hampi ruins, a very eclectic crowd and evenings with live performances, a number of musical instruments awaits anyone who would care to join in for some hours of bonhomie.
22. THE SIZZLER'S AT GOAN CORNER- While in Hampi, one should never ever miss on "The Goan corner's pizza & sizzler's"
23. THE PANCAKES AT MANGO TREE- Popular among the travellers, best known for it's Banana waffles, Pancakes and Israeli menu.
24. THE NIGHT AT LAUGGHING BUDDHA SHACK- And before you leave the majestic Hampi, do spend a Night or two at "The laughing buddha Shack" that is complimented by the Slow Music, Good number of travellers, Chilled Beers by the River Tungabadhra, A very relaxed ambience, Super Friendly Staff, Its impressively large menu (their falafel-hummus platter is amazing) and not to forget the Free Wi-Fi. Watch the village lights come alive in the river waters and you are ready for an evening to remember ( rent 900-1100 bucks per day ).
25. THE GHOST CITY- Did you know Hampi is treated by many as a Ghost City? Go, explore !