A Few Interesting Facts about Pondicherry
Before we know what are those places you can visit in Pondicherry aka Puducherry, let’s get into some amazing facts, we are sure you haven’t heard before. Check out the 4th bullet and see if you’ve ever heard about that fact.
• A unique Union Territory among all the UTs, Pondicherry is the only one that has its assembly, Chief Minister, and elections just like Delhi has.
• There’s an ancient Ganesh temple in Pondicherry known as The Manakula Vinayagar Temple, where the elephant takes coins from the hands and blesses the devotees. It is said that this temple existed even before the era of the French rulers.
• There’s a beach in Pondicherry named after the father of our nation. Promenade Beach is also known as the Mahatma Gandhi Beach that is one of the most visited tourist spots in Pondicherry. You can see the statue of Mahatma Gandhi surrounded by eight granite rocks. The beach also has some beautiful harbors, rocks, cafes, and statues out there.
• Pondicherry celebrates the Independence Day on 16th August, while the rest of the nation on 15th August. The city got independence on August 16, 1962, from the French rulers, after 15 years when India got independence.
• There’s also one not-so-cool fact about Pondicherry and which is the reason why this place is one of the calmest places in the country is that the bars and restaurants close by 11 pm. You can find low taxes on alcohol, but not late-night bars.
Best Time to Visit Pondicherry
What’s is that one thing you majorly consider before making it to any place? Well, answers are many but one should understand the importance of checking the best season to visit any place. This will make your trip ever better and worth investing in. So, even if you’re making a one-day plan to Pondicherry, ensure you can make it at the right time.
Summers (March till June)
The summer season in Pondicherry is quite hot and humid when the temperature stays somewhere between 26-degree Celsius to 42-degree Celsius. You will experience 93% of humidity during this period. If you’re lucky enough and if it rains in June, the temperature might go a bit down. Still, it is not considered a great time to visit Pondicherry for sightseeing as you can only enjoy the exciting water sports.
Monsoon in Pondicherry (July till September)
One cannot predict the monsoon season in the city as it sometimes heavy and sometimes less rainfall. The temperature during these months generally stays between 25-35 degree Celsius. Though monsoon season is considered the best time to make it to the city and enjoy the natural beauty. August is unarguably the best month when Pondicherry is also in the celebration mood, after all, it’s the birthday of Sri Aurobindo
Winter in Pondicherry (October till February)
The winter season in Pondicherry is quite cool and a perfect season to visit for sightseeing. The temperature generally stays between 22-32 degrees Celsius from October to November. The temperature in winter might drop to 20-degree C (minimum) and 29-degree C (maximum). If visiting in winters, do carry light woolens along.
The One-Day Trip to Pondicherry
Check out the list of places you can visit and activities you can do in Pondicherry in only one day.