When we were shortlisting honeymoon destinations, we went through the usual places that are suitable for the winter: Mauritius, New Zealand, Tanzania and Latin America. But somewhere at the back of my mind, I had recollection of my wife telling me about her childhood wish of going to Disney world. We met ten years ago so of course it seemed a bit silly to consider it at this age! I was also oddly concerned about what our friends and family would say. But then nothing about our relationship has been conventional so why start now. Much to her delight, I booked our flights to Orlando and decided we would spend a week in Disney world. Too long you think? Turns out the time's never enough in Disney!
If it's your first time in Disneyworld, there's a few things you should know.
1) It's practically a city: Disneyworld is spread over 110 sq km, has 4 Disney theme parks, 2 water parks, 35+ hotels and several other amenities.
2) Stay within the area: Orlando is quite far from the parks and you need cabs to get around even within Disneyworld so choose a hotel that's just there to save cabfare and time.
3) Choose your hotel carefully: We looked at several Disney resorts but to be honest the service and amenities are no match for name brand hotels like the Four Seasons.
4) Be ready to eat terrible food: We are both vegetarians and tend to eat healthy so the over-processed, too salty fast food available across the parks wasn't edible.
5) Pack comfortable clothes and shoes: my Fitbit clocked over 18k steps a day and we never got a chance to wear our nice/formal clothes. Jeans and sweatshirts are enough!
Now that we've gotten that out of the way, here's how we spent our week.
We bought a four park ticket so we could visit each of the parks during our stay and spaced them out so we could save the best for last. Disney has an amazing app that lets you buy tickets, book fast pass in advance, check wait times and get your photos as and when they're purchased/clicked. Be sure to get the app when you start planning.