TIPS FOR THE BEST CENOTE EXPERIENCE
- Swimsuits are mandatory in all cenotes for men and women both. Most cenotes will have changing rooms.
- Wearing makeup and/or sunscreen is NOT allowed in ANY cenote to protect the fresh water from contamination.
- You don't have to know swimming to enjoy the cenotes. Most cenotes offer free lifejackets.
- A shower is mandatory before you enter any cenote.
- Most of the cenotes only accept cash, always keep Pesos handy. They might accept USD but the exchange rate is quite high.
- It might be worth it to buy a snorkel mask if you intend to go to multiple cenotes, instead of renting them everywhere.
- Renting a car and driving around is the best way if you are short on time would like to cover more cenotes.
- Afternoons are the busiest at any cenote, plan your day accordingly. Even in winter, the water temperatures were absolutely perfect for a dip.
- Cenotes have become one of my favorite natural water bodies and I'm quite sure you'll agree once you visit a few too.
Have you been to any cenotes yet? What did you think of them?
This blog was originally published on The Sassy Pilgrim.