1. Gateway Arch: A 630 foot monument on the bank of Mississippi river, is world’s tallest arch and a major tourist spot. Easily accessible from downtown and the most visited attractions. Buy tickets to visit observation deck on top of the arch,this few minutes tram ride will be your best experience in St Louis.
2. Missouri Botanical Garden Located in Shaw Blvd, this is the oldest botanical garden offering a vast horticulture exhibit. Spread across 79 acres this garden includes major attractions like Japanese garden, Climatron(a conservatory based on tropical rain forest theme), Temperate House, Linnean House (oldest operative greenhouse).
Timings: 9am -5 pm daily, General Entry Fee: $8
3. Cathedral Basilica of St Louis One of the few churches which are both Cathedral(having pope’s throne) and Basilica(special spiritual, historical, and/or architectural significance), it took more than 7 decades to complete it(from 1912-1988). Witness the extravagant interior of mosaics made out of glass in 7000 different colors, astonishingly no paint has been used inside the church. Tours are available to get well versed with art and history of the Church. Tour booking is free and can be done through the website or over the call, you can make a donation as per your will after tour commences.
4. Mississippi River Overlook-Most serene place in St Louis to experience the spectacular view of Downtown, Gateway Geyser and skyline of St Louis from 40 ft tallplatform overlooking Mississippi river.
Do make a visit to Gateway Geyser next to the platform, incredibly boosting the water approximately to the height of Gateway of Arch on the other side of Mississippi River. It also holds the credibility of being the tallest fountain in USA and second in the world.
5. Downtown Take a walk on the “Washington Ave” and “Broadway”, try out the best restaurants, indulge in shopping and acknowledge the diverse culture of St Louis.Busch Stadium, home ground to St Louis Cardinals and Old Courthouse are just a few blocks down from the Washington Avenue(the main street).
. Toasted Ravioli Created in St Louis, this deep-fried appetizer should be on your list. Toasted ravioli of St Louis became famous when it got dropped by chef accidentally and eventually became the most desired menu item. Filled with meat and fried till golden brown it is served with marinara sauce and topped with Parmesan cheese. One can have this dish at “The Hill”, an Italian neighborhood in St.Louis.
St Louis Style BBQ – We have started loving BBQ after visiting couple of joints in Chicago and now on our visit to St Louis, it would have been unfair if we hadn’t tasted the renowned St Louis Style BBQ.
Few notable restaurants serving authentic STL BBQ: Pappy’s Smokehouse, The Shaved Duck, Smoki O’s Bar-B-Que.
- Try to book hotel in Downtown as most attractions are nearby.
- Make a visit to Mississippi River Overlook around sunset for spectacular view.
- Traveling with kids !! Well St Louis do have City Museum, Zoo & Aquarium. There is no entry fee in museum and zoo.
- Try to visit Missouri Botanical Garden in Fall season.
- Do try Gooey Cake & Provel Cheese Thin Crust Pizza, other specialties of St Louis.
- As a visitor, do not roam around at late nights. Be safe