Bali, one of the most popular tourist destination in Indonesia is a delight year long. Tropical temperature, white beaches, warm welcome and plethora of handicraft options make it a must do travel destination. The beauty of this place is that you can visit it again and again without getting enough of it each time. It's like Goa, you can go every year and still plan it for the next year.
5 things to do in Bali
1. Explore the Best of Bali beaches. Clarity of the beaches make it surreal and one can spend the full day swimming and gazing at variety of sea weeds. There is no hurry so swim at leisure, at your speed. Take frequent breaks and sip your favourite martini in-between or bite your favourite food. Walk along the shore line hand in hand or chit chatting- choice is yours. You can cover a kilometer or two without even realising and get back in no time. The air has an aura and a fun factor to accompany you throughout.
2. Water sports. Whether you know swimming or not, try the water sports for sure. It's not a brave heart act, trust me all you girls can do it too. Well, me a non swimmer did it, so anybody can do it. Go snorkeling, diving, para-sailing or sit behind on a water scooter- but enjoy the water sports. The clear water makes it all the more enjoyable and you can marvel at the under sea life. Visit the Turtle Island and explore the life of turtles. See them at every age from being a baby to an old one. And do you know that turtles can live a 100 years- well, see them for yourself there. Along with turtles, there are other distinct animals like bat, owl, sea-eagle, iguana for public viewing as-well.
That's me - Scuba Diving!
3. Enjoy the sea food. Well, this luxury is for the non-vegetarians. Pure vegetarians like me will have a tough time and will survive on coke n french fries and bread butter :(. There is an abundance of sea food and a 1000 variety of dishes available. There is live cooking for crabs, shrimps and prawns and direct delivery onto your plate. Well, I died seeing all this but the sea food lovers will definitely be more protein or carb or whatever rich. So, dig in!
4. Visit Kintamani. This is a special place for a panorama view of Batur lake and active volcano. Away from the main city and an hour drive up the hill, enjoy the majestic view along a walk with the clouds. Enjoy a good lunch there and mesmerise the view and soak it for a long time for these views are rare.
5. Shop till you drop. The land of handicrafts provides more than required shopping options. Buy, buy and more buy for the currency is cheap and so much is available in so little. Enjoy the batik prints in sarongs, wrap skirts, tops, table mats and what not. Just indulge and I promise you won't regret any penny spent. Buy loads for your uncles and aunts and nieces and nephews and even that neighbour back home. This is a trip to lure all of them and being a good girl or boy and save yourself the hassle for buying for the next 5 trips:)
Bali stays in mind for a very long time and the indulgence and the warmth of locals there stays longer. I still miss the pampering Balinese massage!
This blog was originally published on Let's Expresso by Tanya Sachdev.