Sikkim - A mystical paradise
If you ever wanted to break out somewhere with wild green valleys surrounded by enchanting mountains and dazzling waterfalls with most of its parts secluded from the world, then Sikkim is a must-visit place for you being one of the best places to visit in India. This small paradise is a part of the Great Himalayas with some beautiful Lakes (and some of them are even mystical), pleasing landscapes and babbling rivers flowing along with you.
Before we go talking about the places to visit, foods to try, there are few facts about Sikkim that you should be knowing-
1. Sikkim is a small state lying in the northeastern region of India. It borders with Nepal in the west, Bhutan in the East and China in the north and some eastern parts. The State is divided into North, South, East & West Sikkim with Gangtok as its Capital lying in South region.
2. Various permits are required both for Indian and Foreign citizens. Hence, you need to do your bookings via any Travel agent registered with Sikkim Government's Tourism Department. List of Travel Agents, Entry Formalities, Foreign Registration Offices, Restricted Area and Protected Area Permit details can be found under the Official Website of Sikkim Tourist Department.
3. It's always advisable to carry warm clothes & Umbrellas as there is no guarantee of weather change and saying that I would suggest you keep your travel dates flexible and have some buffer time as there might be landslides during the rainy season (June to September) & the roads might get blocked due to excessive snowfall from December to February ( mostly for tourists travelling to North and East Sikkim).
How to reach Sikkim?
1. By Air - The closest airport is Bagdogra Airport in West Bengal and it can take up to 5 hours to reach from there to Gangtok (capital of Sikkim) by car/taxi. Usually, most of the journeys start from Gangtok. There are few direct flights operational from New Delhi, Kolkata, Assam etc, and many connecting flights. However, do check your flight status during the Winter season as the flights get delayed or cancelled during that time.
2. By Rail - There are two nearby Railway Stations to Gangtok i.e. New Jalpaiguri (NJP) and Siliguri Junction (SGUJ). You can book your trains if they pass any of these two stations. It usually takes 4.5 hours to reach Gangtok from any of these two stations by car/taxi.
Some beautiful Destination to visit in Sikkim