On Day 2 We Started our trek from our Lodge which was at the Starting point of Trek at 3:30 AM because we wanted to witness the Sunrise from the Chandrashila peak which is so beautiful and surreal as suggested by our Lodge owner.
Everything is Closed down at that time, so if You want to start the trek in early hours to witness Sunrise then keep these things in mind:
1) It is Very dark as there are no lights on the way, so don't forget to carry a flashlight.
2) Wear Good quality shoes because there will be snow on the trek at this time of Year.
3) It gets even more colder at night and specially when Climbing up so it advised to Keep one more layer ( for both upper and Lower body) handy just in case you need it.
4) Keep your Head Covered at all times if you're going in night because it is too cold.
5) Ask your Lodge owner to Lend you trekking Sticks/poles.
6) Buy Extra Water bottles and Something to Eat as there no Shops in the way which will be open.
7) Last But the most important Keep All your trash with yourself and don't throw anything on the trek because you will be heavily fined if you do.
Entry Fee: Rs 150 Each and Student Discount 50%.
Note: Along with Entry fee you will be required to Submit Rs 500 as security deposit for not throwing garbage. All your plastic garbage is counted before you start trekking and if You throw anything or forget anything on the trek you will be fined additional Rs 4500 i.e Fine of Rs 5000 for Throwing Garbage.
But as we started in night there was no one there, but on our way back we were made to give entry fee and asked whether we have brought our trash back or not.
So Now Finally the trek is 4 kms upward and en-route you will find lush green meadows. You can witness a wide range of snow capped Himalayas. The trek trail till Tungnath temple is well marked and fully concreted with railing on the most of its part.
But Trek trail from Tunganath temple to Chandrshila Peak which is another 1.5 Km is neither well marked nor concrete. You will certainly miss the trail due to snow but you should keep moving carefully and you will find the trail again.
It will take around 3-4 Hours to reach to the peak in time to witness a beautiful sunrise and splendid 360° View of Garhwali and Kumwaoni Mountains. Notable peaks in this panorama of grandeur are—Nanda Devi, Trishul, Nandaghunti, Dronagiri, Chaukhamba, and Kedar.
We reached there just in time to witness Sunrise and rested for couple of hours in the sunlight as we freezed due to extreme biting low temperature. And after clicking a million pictures we started the Descent at 8:00 AM and it should have took us 2 to 2 1/2 hour to reach back but due to unlimited photo sessions and Fun Boomerangs and Vidoes in Snow it took us 3 1/2 Hour. And For the rest of the Day we rested in our camps in Chopta alongside the Bonfire and Chill music.
But If your are rested in 1-2 Hour you can drive down to Deori-Tal and Camp there for the night. It is a 2-3 Km hike for Deori-Tal from the Village. Or You can also Camp in Chopta and Enjoy Bonfire and Chill.