Celebrate the Swedish tradition of Midsummer, the ultimate outdoor summer event!
This year, many annual Swedish Midsummer Festivals will be canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic. Visit Sweden is inviting people from India and around the world to experience the joy of Midsummer through a series of virtual events.
On Friday, June 19, Midsummer’s Eve, the country’s most beloved traditions will be shared through live stream on Visit Sweden’s Facebook page. Grocery lists and recipes will be shared on Visit Sweden’s Facebook page in advance, for those who want to take part in cooking a Midsummer feast at home. Recipes for strawberry cakes and cured salmons can already be found here and here.
Next to Christmas, Midsummer is the most important event for Swedes. Dating back to the 1500s, it is traditionally held to welcome summer and the season of fertility. The iconic Midsummer never-ending lunch party formula involves raising a maypole, where people gather to dance and sing, as well as wearing flower crowns and drinking schnapps. Devouring smoked salmon and pickled herring paired with new potatoes, chives and sour cream, as well as summer’s first strawberries with cream is also on the cards.
Traditionally, Midsummer is enjoyed throughout the country at open-air museums, community centers, public parks, recreation areas, gardens and summer cottages. In fact, anywhere in Sweden will do as long as it’s outdoors. This year, Visit Sweden invites viewers to take part in classic Midsummer activities, such as singing at the table with 'sill' and 'snaps', watching traditional dancing around the midsummer pole (maypole) and much more from the comfort of their own home, garden or outdoor space and get inspired for a cultural holiday in Sweden, when the time is right.
Local Swedish hosts from different regions will guide viewers in English through the activities and share their personal Midsummer traditions. Since all major Midsummer events in Sweden have been cancelled, this will give people in India and all over the world a unique and immersive way to join a genuine, private Midsummer party. Events will be hosted across the country, from Skåne in the South to Swedish Lapland in the North, and viewers can learn skills ranging from making a flower wreath to culinary tips and tricks for a Midsummer family fiesta, as well as enjoying the infamous frog dance – a traditional Swedish dance and song involving movements that illustrate body parts that frogs lack, namely ears (öron) and tails (svansar). Viewers can even tune in to see the midnight sun.
Schedule: Friday, June 19 (India time)
22.30 Picking 7 types of flower and an evening swim in Roslagen
Schedule: Saturday, June 20 (India time)
03.30 Skiing under the midnight sun in Riksgränsen, Swedish Lapland
Each live event will last around 15–30 minutes and there will be written information in between live broadcasts in different languages about the following event.
Other links, recipes and information
• Swedish Midsummer for Dummies – Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8ZLpGOOA1Q
• Strawberry Cake recipe – https://visitsweden.com/what-to-do/food-drink/food/traditional-dish/classic-strawberry-and-cream-cake-aka-jordgubbstarta-recipe/
• Cured salmon recipe – https://visitsweden.com/what-to-do/food-drink/food/traditional-dish/cured-salmon-aka-gravad-lax-recipe/
• Midsummer – step by step https://visitsweden.com/where-to-go/middle-sweden/dalarna/midsummer-step-step/
• Midsummer in Sweden – a cherished tradition https://visitsweden.com/what-to-do/culture-history-and-art/swedish-traditions/midsummer-tradition/midsummer/
• Smoked salmon and Aquavit – How to do midsummer like a Swede https://visitsweden.com/what-to-do/culture-history-and-art/swedish-traditions/midsummer-tradition/smoked-salmon-and-aquavit-how-do-midsummer-swede/
• Midsummer in Sweden – like something from another world https://visitsweden.com/what-to-do/culture-history-and-art/swedish-traditions/midsummer-tradition/midsummer-sweden-something-another-world/
• Swedish Institute – https://sweden.se/culture-traditions/midsummer/
For tips and tricks on how to create the perfect Midsummer at home, visit – https://visitsweden.com/what-to-do/culture-history-and-art/swedish-traditions/midsummer-tradition/midsummer/
Images – https://imagebank.sweden.se/my-selections/dq02imbtb
Videos – https://contentbank.visitsweden.com/selection/60acd6b0aa7b39003bfce397089cd5be
Visit Sweden Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/VisitSwedenIN
Hero – https://youtu.be/6SC8ccxX-44
Trailer – https://youtu.be/A3bpkApXoW4
Small frogs dance – https://youtu.be/tz9PJb4XkmY
Classics on the table – https://youtu.be/UGbBPhJnkA8
For India media enquiries, contact the Country Project Manager India at Sanjoo.email@example.com or via WhatsApp: +46707184609.