Around 1.30-2.00 pm we started back to Bangalore via Hassan and reached at 6.00 pm.
Why is it special?
- A road trip is always fun when taken with long time friends. Gives plenty of rooms for all the reminiscing, bickering, shouting, singing, sleeping and stopping whenever and wherever you want.
- First time we went in a self-driven rented car which came with good enough technological assistance to find our way.
- There is always a surprise element, something that doesn’t go as planned, which becomes a part of your memory eternally – in our case, it was getting locked out of the car in cold wind and rain.
- Book your rooms in home stays or hotels in advance. There are plenty of estates/farm houses converted to home stays, however since the location is a hotspot for weekend trips, most of the places get booked fully. Look for reviews in tripadvisor.com, call the owners and talk to them to understand what to expect there – Pick the one that suits your budget as is nearer to the town.
- We stayed one night in Infosys, which saved us some money. However, pick one place where the rates are per room than per person to reduce costs.
- During monsoon it is not advisable to go deep into the Western Ghats as there are bound to be heavy rains and landslides. Pick a home stay that isn’t too deep into the woods.
- Take extra blankets if you have space in your vehicle to carry them. The blankets provided by the host will not be enough against the cold to those who are not accustomed to it.
- Preferably take sturdier vehicles like the Scorpio than hatchbacks. The terrain changes almost immediately into steep roads.
- If inexperienced, hire a driver and enjoy the journey. DO NOT take the risk of experimenting. An inch is all that is required to cause accidents on the hill.
- Zoom cars proved to be pretty economical and suitable for 4 of us. They cover the fuel charges too in their tariff and are always reachable for assistance (unless you get locked out in a place where the signal is feeble for them to be contacted). Make sure to follow their guidelines. They are pretty strict about any kind violations like over speeding or crossing kms/per day limits.
- If you get locked out without enough signal to contact for assistance, try to open the lever near the rare windows. Check on youtube to know more details on it. They make enough space for one person to sneak in( In vehicles like scorpio that is). But if all means fail, break open the smallest and nearest window. However, it is utmost advisable to not get locked out in the first place. :P
- A good camera, a patient photographer friend and some good music CD’s never hurt anyone. Make sure to carry at least the first and the last along.