Muskuraiye ki aap Lucknow mein hain… Wouldn’t you smile after reading these welcoming lines written on the entrance of Charbagh Railway Station of Lucknow?Well i did , days spent in this The city of Nawabs will be the best memories you are going to have in your life time , let me give you some reasons why you should visit Lucknow Fondly also known as the ‘City of Nawabs’ or the ‘City of Tehzeeb’ at least once in your life time :-
1. Tehzeeb :- The first thing you will notice is their culture or tehzeeb, Lakhnawi people have always been identified by the respect that they give each other. The people are generally very polite and well-mannered,The people of Lucknow are the most courteous people you would ever meet!! Their heart-warming hospitality will make you fall in love with the city. I found life here is pretty simple and easy. People does not tend to be show offs.
Now after my maiden trip to Lucknow , today I have 6 slangs to share which you will hear only in Lucknow. They are very much integral part of Lakhnawi people:-
I. "Hum "- Its most common word ,trust me in Lucknow "hum " is not related to "WE" at all , Instead of “main” people address themselves as " hum". As Tehzeeb of Lucknow it’s a symbol of class, they don’t prefer the words like "Tum" , "Tu" & "Main".
"Hum Lucknow sey hai".
2. "Amma Yaar"-In lucknnow its popular to use "Amma Yaar " in the beginning of almost every sentence, I think it works in same context as "Arey Yaar" in Delhi .
"Amaa yaar ab chalo bhi yaha se".
3. "Toota"- Means smaller denomination of money.
"100Rs ka toota na hai humare paas".
4. "Bhaukal/Bhaukali":- literal meaning is Impressive or influential, in a certain field, normally in off hand fields.
"Police pakad k le gayi usko, bhaukal hai bhai ka! "
5. "Shukriya ":- instead of the usual Thank You and Thanks, Shukriya is a sweet way of expressing gratitude in Lucknow.
"Aap Ka Shukriya".
6. "Kantaap":-Among all the slangs this one is my favorite, heard this while I was taking a walk on busy Aminabad Road, initially i thought its related to bullets but actually its Lucknow own version of a slap????.
"Aisa kantaap marenge ki utth nahi payoge beta"