After reading my experience here, I am sure that you would want to visit this place and have a real Escapade!
You have plenty of buses to get here from Bangalore, Mangalore, and Gokarna. You have trains as well. If you love riding or driving then there is no looking back as the roads are very well maintained.
1) Best season to go is from September up to April. Latter to that it gets very hot and humid.
2) You do not necessarily have to stay in a resort, you have plenty of shacks in Kudle Beach and Om Beach to stay up.
3) Withdraw sufficient cash for your stay as you will have trek up and down if you go out of cash as there are no ATMS yet.
4) Carry Odomos and Sunscreen in your bag always.
5) If you are an animal lover than carrying a hand sanitizer as you will find a plenty of dogs at the beaches. If you not into animals then stay away from them. Better safe than sorry.
6) Just break free, meet new people and HAVE FUN!!