Guwahati > Agartala > Melaghar > Udaipur > Agartala > Unakoti > Silchar > Aizawl > Champhai > Zokhawthar > Champhai > Aizawl > Silchar > Guwahati
- Buses for Melaghar (for Neermahal Palace) leave from Nagerjala bus station in Agartala. Shared auto-rickshaws can drop you there. Buses for Kumarghat (for Unakoti) leave from ISBT Chandrapur from morning 6 am.
- After exiting Ujjayanta Palace, take a left and walk for 100 meters to reach Sherowali sweets. Eat there. Trust me.
- An hour or two at Unakoti would be more than enough.
- Road from Dharmanagar to Silchar is terribly dusty and bumpy.
- Shared sumo for Aizawl leaves from Mizoram house on Sanai road. 10 minute ride by shared auto-rickshaws.
- Accommodation in Aizawl is over-priced and there is nothing much to see/do there. Trust me and eat at Cosy Den restaurant, near Khatla bus stop. There is take-away too. There’s a Subway in town and Hi-Five restaurant inside Millenium Centre which is crowded so must be good.
- Shared sumo for Silchar leaves from Zarkawt taxi stand. For Champhai, go to Lower Zarkawt taxi stand. Sumo for Reiek leaves from Bungkawn taxi stand, a 10 minute walk from Khatla bus stop. Aizawl city buses ply on the main road, go in North-South direction and is pretty handy.
- There is a winery in Tlangsam near Champhai. You can walk there (3km) or take the city bus. From Tlangsam, you can trek to Zote (6km) on a dirt road. Mura Puk (Eagle cave) in Zote is nothing more than a hole in the ground, but there is a vineyard nearby if you can find it.
- Champhai to Zokhawthar is terribly bumpy. Cross the border to Myanmar but don’t pay any money to the Burmese border guard. I don’t think it is official. Hire guy-on-motorcycle to take you to Rih Dil. Communicating could be a problem. Be prepared to walk back (~6 km easy downhill). My guy left me there and did not return to take me back. You can walk around the lake to the rice fields on the other side.
- If you want to go to Manipur from Mizoram, I hear there is a shared sumo service from Kawlkulh (with overnight at Khawndungsei) to Churachandpur in Manipur. Sumo might be full when it leaves from Aizawl. Get tickets from Aizawl.
- Buses and shared taxis to Imphal and Guwahati leave from Capital Travels early morning.
TRANSIT TIMES & APPROXIMATE FARES (INR):
- Agartala to Melaghar ~1.5 hours (bus), 30
- Melaghar to Udaipur: ~1.5 hours (sumo taxi), 30
- Udaipur to Agartala: ~1.5 hours (bus), 30
- Agartala to Kumarghat: ~5 hours (bus), 120
- Kumarghat to Unakoti: ~1 hours (sumo taxi), 50
- Unakoti to Dharmanagar: ~2 hours (sumo taxi), 30
- Dharmanagar to Silchar: ~8 hours (bus), 200
- Silchar to Aizawl: ~6 hours (sumo taxi), 400
- Aizawl to Champhai: ~8 hours (sumo taxi), 450
- Champhai to Zokhawthar: ~1.5 hours (sumo taxi), 30
- Zokhawthar to Rih Dil: ~10 minutes (motorbike), 100
- Silchar to Guwahati: ~9 hour (bus), 550