Day 3: 19th June, 2017
We wake up on the 3rd day with full enthusiasm and a new hope. We freshened up, had our breakfast and started our journey to most awaited destination Leh. It was 7 to 8 hours long drive from Kargil to Leh, and during this mind blowing journey we covered the below places:
1) Monastery of Mulbekh: Mulbekh Monastery or Mulbekh Gompa is said to consist of two gompas, which belong to the Drukpa and Gelugpa sects respectively. This monastery is on the Kargil - Leh highway, about 45 Km from Kargil. It is famous for 1st century Statue of Maitrya Buddha, carved out of a huge rock.
2) Namikala Pass: ‘Land of the Passes’ as it is said - Ladakh is blessed with a number of beautiful and attractive passes. Namikala pass, located at the Zanskar range that connects Srinagar- Leh highway. This pass located at the height of 12,139 feet above the sea level is also known as the pillar of the sky passes.
3) Fotula Top: Fotu La / Fatu La / Fatula are different names that this point is referred as. At an elevation of 4,108 metres (13,478 ft), it is the highest point on the Srinagar-Leh highway. It’s a beautiful view point from where you can view the Zaskar range of Himalayan Mountains. Also, most of the tourists stop here to enjoy the scenic view and click pictures.
4) Magnetic Hill: Enroute to Magnetic Hill, we had our lunch at ‘Millen Vaishno Punjabi Dhaba’. Then we reached at Magnetic Hill, a "Cyclops hill" located near Leh in Ladakh, India. This place creates a nice illusion and you shall feel as if the car is moving uphill rather than down when not powered and kept in neutral. The scenery is great and we got some amazing opportunity to click photographs.
5) Gurudwara Sri Pathar Sahib: Gurdwara Pathar Sahib, is a beautiful Gurudwara sahib constructed in the memory of Guru Nanak, about 25 miles away from Leh, on the Leh-Kargil road, 12000 ft above sea level. We had our snacks there. This Gurudwara is well maintained by army. We were blessed to be here.
Then finally we reached to our Hotel in Leh ‘Hotel Serthi’. We rested for some time, freshened up and became ready for our next adventure. I think these guys were not in the mood of staying and resting in the hotel room. We changed our clothes to new one and in the late evening, we went to explore the Leh Market.
Let me tell you something about this market, the main market of Leh is a Street market with many lanes and bylanes, all of which have small shops selling a variety of products. One can find everything here from shoes to clothes and woolen wear as well as jewelry. Also, carpets, shawls, and souvenirs are available here.
We came back from the Market tour, had our buffet dinner, had some good conversations and then directly went for sleep to our rooms.