A bike trip from Srinagar to Leh via Kargil ! Sounds adventurous ? Indeed it was.Snow was melted, the highways were open , sun was shiny it was all set for the perfect kick start of our journey from Srinagar on our Bikes Pulsar 150 in May 2013.But nature has its own set up for us on the day of journey. We were supposed to leave origin by 6 am but it was raining since last night which made it difficult for us, but without worrying much about the consequences we started in the rain.It was first of its kind experience for all 4 of us. The best part about the trip is that we all were good bikers ( atleast in my opinion :p ) & thats the key point while going on a bike trip anywhere in the world. You should have great bikers around you, they not only pulls you out of the difficult situations but also ensures your safety and adds up more fun to the trip.
One of the foremost and difficult task was to cross the zozilla pass and that too in the rain and to make it more interesting that too when the whole convoy of the army vehicles is passing the same at the same time that too in the oppostie direction. It tooks us couple of hours to finally cross it. We slipped, we pushed , we walked , we took selfies but we never gave up.
After crossing the zozilla pass we entered the most beautiful highways i have ever witnessed in my life. There was snow, there were mountains , there was rain , clouds , lake , rivers everything you know could exist in nature it was there !I was witnessing the once in a life time opportunity.The main attraction while travelling via Srinagar - Kargil NH 1D is Zozilla Pass , Kargil War Memorial , Drass & Nature challenging you at every feet.
We halted at Kargil and next day started off to Leh.The Road to kargil-leh road is just awesome, i fell in love with those road. The were broad, smooth, plain, newly made and they were just amazing. The best part about this path was Fotu la pass, Lamayuru , Moonland , Magnetic Hill , Patthar Sahib Gurudwara & the nature in its untouched way.
Then we entered Leh. The most beautiful place i have ever witnessed.The things i loved about the city were :1. There people, who were so helping, honest & free from any kind of ill habits.
2. They were stylish in their own way.
3. The nature is unffected from the human & you can experience it in the way it is.
4. The Culture, rituals & the festivals of the city.
Then we did the most difficult journey till now. Leh to Pangong lake. This 150km ride to & fro that too in a single day making it 300 km plus made it more difficult. We almost risked our lives in the snow storm while returning back from pangong. But the feeling when we reached pangong was worth the journey. In short i would like to say: Every single person should have to travel this place to experience the most beautiful journey of their lives.
Although i am too small to give any tips before making this trip, but would like to add up some things :
1. As i already mentioned, always go with sensible riders any mistake on the highway will cost you your life.
2. Keep some petrol can tied with your bike while riding, you never know when you need it.
3. Have some hands on the some of the basics of bike repairing and keep some basic tools with you.
4. Check your vehicle properly before leaving for the journey.
5. Know thorougly about the place you are visiting on net so that you do not miss out some of the famous places.
6. Keep a good camera with you because the scenic view you are going to experience will be awesome.
7. Plan it in the April - June season. That is the most appropriate time to travel the place.
Happy Journey & always remember "Its not the ride, its the Rider" !