Trip Start Date: 12th September, 2018
Trip End Date : 19th September, 2018
Total Expenses : INR 45k (approx)
Countries Covered: Denmark,Norway and Sweden
Finland requires minimum 1 complete day if covered by Ferry from Sweden.Most of the time will be spent in the round-trip journey leaving just 3-4 hours to explore Finland. Therefore 2 days minimum must be kept for Finland if you plan to cover it properly.
Summary of Expenses:
1. EasyJet Flight Round Trip from Paris : INR 3.7k
2. Cost per meal : 7-8 euros
3. Reservation fare in Sweden: 7-8 euros (With Eurail)
4. Reservation fare for the night train between Oslo and Bergen : 11 euros (With Eurail)
5. Reservation fare in Norway otherwise: 0 euros(With Eurail)
6. Fjords Tour : 70 euros (approx)
7. Oslo Island Tour : 19 euros(approx)
8. All Public Transport Pass in Oslo : 11 euros/day
9. Tivoli Gardens Entry Pass : 130 DKK~17 euros
10. Vasa Museum Entry Fee: 250 SEK~ 23 euros
Some Essential Tips for Scandinavia and for Viewing Northern Lights:
1. Flights should be preferred over train especially when you are travelling from Western or Central Europe.This will save you a lot of time and money also if flights booked well in advance.
2. Carry extra layers and a raincoat as well especially for northern parts such as Bergen & Tromso. Bergen & Tromso can be excruciating cold and wet throughout the year.
3. Northern lights can be viewed from Tromso in Norway or Abisko in Sweden. Best time to view is from Late September to February.However, do note the huge travel time to either of these two destinations. It can be upwards of 15-16 hours from Oslo and Stockholm respectively.
4. Decent vegetarian options available in entire Scandinavia at almost all restaurants, so vegetarian friends don't need to worry or carry additional food items.
5. For Eurail Pass Holders, significant savings can be seen on all rail travel as all internal travel is free in Norway, and the reservation required in Sweden is insignificant as well. Night trains can set you back by 200 euros for one way travel if you don't have Eurail pass.
6. For the Fjords tour, leave very early in the morning because there is no train in the afternoon.
7. For flights from Paris, choose EasyJet over RyanAir as it flies from Charles De Gaulle Airport. For RyanAir, the departure airport is Paris Beauvais for which you will need to pay an additional 17 euros to reach by the Airline Bus Shuttle.
8. All three countries have different currencies, so either carry all three in your card or carry a universal card like Niyo to save on conversion charges later on.