This is one place, where i can go and spend time again and again. There is something in this place which caught me. I don't know whether that is because of new culture or the company i had when i visited. One thing about this place is its hot :P Literally as well as emotionally :) My suggestion would be to visit in the second half of the year ( preferably after August ). And to get most out of Pondy, take a rented bike/cycle and roam around the city like local :)
I don't know why some people didn't like this place. May be they compared this place with Goa. Please, never do that mistake :P Goa is a place to have fun like there is no tomorrow. What happens in GOA remains in GOA!! But, Pondy for me it was a place to have fun with peace of mind and just chill out. Of course you get what u want for night party same as GOA :P To make sure that you enjoy the place completely, stay there for 2 nights.
Must do-list according to me, except visiting places:
- Sunrise @ any beach
- Morning and night stroll in any beach :)
- Explore new food culture (Italian); Please don't have normal north/south Indian thali even in Pondy. Try its Italian thali :)
- If you are a spiritual person, then meditation @ Auroville is must
- Shopping is a must for girls. So guys better avoid going with your girl friend/lover :P
- Walk in Tamilian colony and French colony.
- Spend some time in cafe near beach :)
- last but not least be a local
I would say this is one place for which you don't need an itinerary. That's why i am not going to share any itinerary this time. Just reach there and roam around like you are the mayor of Pondy :P
Enjoy the cultural blend in Pondy :)