This was my first time ever on a yacht and I didn't know what to expect. After the trip, I made a few notes for myself to enhance my experience on the next sailing adventure and I hope this helps you too:
- Do not embark on this adventure without travel insurance. Never take a chance when you're going to be at sea for a whole week and when a lot of booze is involved.
- Carry your own personal medical kit without fail.
- Do not hesitate to inform the event organisers about any discomforts you might face, even if it involves your skipper or hostess or anything else for that matter. Safety first!
- Carry loads of fun costumes and props to enhance your experience. Plan with your crew in advance and go prepared. Consider it as important as carrying bikinis, booze, and sunblock. You don't want to be left out, after all.
- The tan lines will fade, but the memories will last a lifetime. Don't be afraid of the sun, just carry loads of sunblock.
- Make a kitty amongst the crew members and have one person be in charge of it. There are several payments to be made and you don't want it to dampen the mood on the boat.
- There will be parties happening all day, every day! Pace yourself or else you'll burn out too quickly. Remember it's a marathon, not a sprint.
- There will be no Wi-Fi on the yacht! You will have the best time of your life.
- Have multiple music playlists handy so that you're not listening to the same 10 songs on repeat for the whole trip. Carry an aux cable along.
- Carry your country's flag to hoist on your yacht. There will be people from all over the world and it is a great conversation starter.
- Carry your most comfortable pair of closed shoes. Flip-flops and heels are a complete no-no on boats and slippery surfaces.
- Carry a dry bag for all your gadgets that are not waterproof.
Have you been to The Yacht Week before or on any sailing adventure? Share your experience in the comments below.
This blog was originally published on The Sassy Pilgrim.