Parking is expensive, cabs are expensive. Buses, Jitneys and subways are the best and the cheapest options to commute. You not only save on money but feel the real New York too for the real New Yorkers travel by these mediums the most. If you haven't been on a subway, you haven't done New York. I rode on a Jitney from New Jersey Beach street to Times Square; on a subway from Times Square to Brooklyn Bridge and back; on a path rail road between NYC and New Jersey. And that's when I felt one with New York.
P.S: Hoping over public transport is the best way to understand a city and its people. This is one of the definite & best things to do in New York City.
15. Shop your heart out in New York City
NYC is meant for shopping. From H&M to World's largest Macy's, from luxury stores to street shopping, from window shopping to paying in Dollars, be ready for a spectacular shopping experience. Make the best of the ongoing in-shop deals and make the most of your shopping list. Shopping in America is not expensive provided you know how to shop. Huge stores are best things in New York to visit.
Tips for shopping:
- Ask for deals when you enter the shops. Do not hesitate. Make the most of the discounted offers.
- Use coupons. There are alot of coupons offered while shopping. Make use of them.
- Shop with a local. If you are visiting family or friends, take their advice for shopping. They will tell you the best ways to save and splurge. Shopping is the biggest attractions in New York City.
16. Outlet mall for luxury shopping
There is an outlet mall for every state in America. I went to an outlet mall each in Virginia, Atlantic city, New Jersey and New York. For New York City, there are 2 outlet malls- Woodbury Common Premium Outlets in New York and The Mills at Jersey Gardens in New Jersey. Woodbury Common is at an hour from NYC and Jersey Gardens is 40 minutes from Jersey City. A full whole day is needed to shop at a premium outlet. The deals for some of the most sought after luxury brands are just fantastic. Check out Nike, Coach, Michael Kors, Guess, DKNY and many other popular brands and find fantastic discounts and offers. I bought a Coach bag for myself at 50% off and a Coach wallet for husband at 30% off. And I am very happy :).
P.S: If luxury brand shopping is your priority, then this automatically is a Must Do amongst best things to do in New York City. These outlet malls are great attractions in New York City and Best things in New York to visit.
17. The Roosevelt Island Tramway- Fly high over New York City