Well, obviously you understand what we mean, right? 10 places that have liberal beliefs and welcome people who are beyond the mundane tourists. Basically, these are the places where you can find the best stuff and do your thing mostly out in the open too without the locals frowning back at you.
For the better of mankind, here is a concentrated list of 10 places hippies go to have the time of their lives:
1. Mcleodganj – The chances of your calling yourself a liberal and still not having visited Mcleodganj are actually 0 in a 100. This is THE first pit stop for anyone looking to explore the stuff for the first time in their lives. Himachal is the most definitive destination for hippies, and Mcleodganj is the ultimate mélange.
2. Kodaikanal – The birthplace of “shrooms.” The fantastical mushrooms that give you a happy high are “born & brought up” in this place down in Tamil Nadu. If spirituality is what you are after amidst the verdant surroundings, catch a train to Kodaikanal right away and you will not be disappointed.
3. Malana – Alexander’s descendants, anyone? If you are up for mythical stories about the locals who won’t let you touch them but are still more than willing to sell you the world-renowned “M-Cream” to you, then Malana is a great place for you. As soon as you enter this place, you suddenly feel that you wouldn’t be able to go ever go back to normality.
4. Hampi – We come down south all over again, this time in Karnataka. Mythologically known to be the birthplace of Lord Hanuman, Hampi is famous for its large tracts of land with huge rock architecture everywhere. Historically, one of the wealthiest cities in the world during its prime, today it provides its land to the freer souls of the world to meditate & have a good time.
5. Pushkar – Probably the only place in India which unofficially celebrates the hippie culture by organizing an annual fair. Once in Pushkar, you can get all kinds of stuff that is out of your imagination, and every one goes berserk amidst the million colours of Rajasthan. This places gives you a high in the desert which only it can.
6. Varkala – Kerala is not just known for its backwaters anymore. Varkala is probably the newest addition to the frequented Indian places for the hippies. This place still offers unparalleled privacy to the hippie culture, unheard of these days. Water, water everywhere, lots of beauty to drink.
7. Kasol – Well, another favourite destination of the urban hippies looking to find peace (& good stuff) amidst the mundanity of life. Since the fame of Kasol caught up, the accessibility of the place got easier with trains/buses directly connecting this place with the metropolitans. Go here only to experience the great stuff it offers, not for peace in anyway.
8. Arambol – Speaking of peace, this is my personal favourite place in the whole of India to just have the time of your life if you are an actual peace lover, devoid of the metaphorical sense. Just lie down on the beach with either a beer or a big fat doobie in your hand, rolled exclusively by the hippie Russians, and watch the sun drown into the infinite sea ahead. Arambol is Goa’s heaven.
9. Tawang – The natives of the larger subcontinent do not realize the significance of the the North East when it comes to cultural heritage & hippie needs. One just needs to go off the beaten track for a while in order to experience the real beauty of our country, and Tawang epitomizes it providing the soulful settlement and every kind of high you desire.
10. Ziro valley – The highest high does not make you high? If you have reached that certain phase of life, then there is only one place that can satiate your soul – Ziro Valley. Sometimes, the music capital of Arunachal Pradesh gives you such a legitimate musical high that you will forget that you came in the hunt of something else at all. The valley where the best of the best lose themselves to an unprecedented emotion.