- Jaisalmer, the small old city in the Thar desert of Indian state Rajasthan, is popularly known as the 'Golden city'.
- The Sam sand dunes and the Golden Fort are major attractions of the city.
How to Reach Jaisalmer
- Jodphur to Jaisalmer - Indian Railways (Mostly tourists take up this route)
- Booked cars from Jodhpur/Ahmadabad
- Jaisalmer Airport (17 Km South East of Jaisalmer)
Some of the popular tourist destinations of Jaisalmer are
- Sam Sand Dunes
- The Jaisalmer Fort (The Golden Fort)
- Gadisar Lake
- Patwan Ki Haveli
Where To Stay
Sam Dunes, The Thar Desert
- The Sam Dunes are at the outskirts of Jaisalmer city.
- No hotels are available here. Tourists can spend night in the camp tents of the desert.
Desert safari packages are available from Jaisalmer city. The desert safari includes
- Pick up from Hotel at Jaisalmer
- Camel Ride (3 Km) till Sunset point
- Rajasthani cultural musical and dance programs in camps
- Rajasthani Dinner
- Night stay at desert tents of the camp
- Drop to Hotel at Jaisalmer
Availability of public transport back to Jaisalmer can be difficult.
Jaisalmer Fort - The Golden Fort
- The yellow sandstone Jaisalmer Fort is located in the heart of the city.
- It is a living fort and accommodates more than 4 thousand people.
Places to see in the Golden Fort
- Museum The museum inside the fort is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. From the roof top one can see the golden city of Jaisalmer.
- Mukul's House The bricked house Satyajit Ray filmed in the movie 'Sonar Kella'.
- Jain Temple There is a Jain Temple inside the fort with excellent wall architecture.
- The Gadisar lake is a popular tourist attraction of Jaisalmer.
- It was built in the 14th century to store rain water of the arid Jaisalmer.
- Boating facility is available.
Patwon Ki Haveli
- Patwon Ki Haveli is one of the largest havelis in Rajasthan with beautiful balconies and amazing wall architecture.